Your Thoughts And Recommendations, Please!

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Terry hi there~ want to know our thoughts``` Well ~ we don't all think alike ~ for instance ~ methinks if you've worked and planted this soil before ~ you pretty much know what it has and what it needs ~ I'd say~ work the ground~ like you planed and plant ~ feed the soil~ if last year or the year before ~ the plants were skinny ```

Oh~ and don't mention what I've said ~ you know to anyone here~ just listen to what~ everguy has to say and decide you own advantage```

Good talking to you Terry ~ be looking for you next```

Richard

TerryLP

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi RUNuts
I am not locked in on any particular method at this time. I have a general idea of what I want to do at this point, but I am most certainly open to change. Right now I am thinking that once I have my soil tested and have added in whatever is required I will make raised beds/rows. One thing that I am considering is running the tubing in order to use a drip watering method. I am thinking that I will make my rows wide enough (30-35 inches) to run my tiller between them for weed control. I also got a little mini tiller, off of Craigslist, that attaches to my weedeater motor. I figure that I can use that on the sides of the beds.

Hi baymule
Thanks for the information and links. I will most certainly make use of these. I have never tried my hand at starting from seeds before.

Hi Richard
Yes, I tried my hand at gardening two years ago. I had very mixed results. That is why this year I am planning ahead and doing my research.
Oh, yes of course. This will be our little secret.

TerryLP

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Nyboy, I have not decided exactly where I will buy my seeds as yet. I can go to a local feed/hardware supply store. It is locally owned, has a fairly wide selection of seeds, and supplies seeds for many of the large farms around here. I might buy some mail order, that way doing a combination of both.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another seed started here. I've used peat pots, newspaper pots, styrofoam cups, etc. One of my favorites is school milk containers with sterile medium. Many claim a sprinkling of cinnamon over the planted seed prevents "dampening off" a major concern with starting seeds.

Checking locally for plants that should do well in your area is a good idea for a novice. I tend to push the envelope and experiment with new and different often.

I also prefer open-pollinated or heirloom varieties so I can save my seed from year to year. Much discussion here on developing varieties that do best in your area by good notes, seed saving, and selective growing of your own seeds over the year.

Wish I could stop by for a few weeks and help you out. I am in the South, but it's darned cold here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
personally use these to start the seeds.... since you can a whole bunch started in 1 10x20 tray..

https://www.amazon.com/Seedling-Sta...rd_wg=hvs9X&psc=1&refRID=VKKTJ9QKH65KSCNRZVRM
then once they get their 3rd or 4th set of leafs will transfer them to these pots.. you can get 18 in a 10x20 tray

https://www.amazon.com/Durable-reus..._feature_keywords_three_browse-bin:5995560011

highly recommend once you start transplanting into the larger pots use plant labels, so you know who is who.....

https://www.amazon.com/KINGLAKE-Pla...rd_wg=Gzhzi&psc=1&refRID=QKXA3H9G6P58ATRME2PQ
look around in your area sure theres a organic/hydroponic shop near you that would have most everything you need, if you dont want to pay shipping.

as for seeds. buy large packs you will save money in the long run.
johnnys seeds.com
totally tomato.com
tomato growers supply.com
stokes.com
territorial.com
the list goes on and on.

seed starting setup's you will find it varies from member to member.... aka lighting/soil/heat.... it only took me years to dial it in to a point where i am happy.

yes always do at least 1 experimentally variety of seed every year... always research that type of seed if it will grow and produce in your area first.

happy gardening.....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am trying to decide on my timeline and schedule for my 2018 garden.

First, in my schedule for February is to go ahead and till up the garden area. I haven’t planted anything there in over a year. It is all covered with grass at the moment. I thought it would be good to get it thoroughly tilled up at least two or three times before planting time.

(Off to a grand start. Went yesterday and found that my tiller won’t start. I’ll get fixed this week or next)

Second, once I have it tilled, I’ll take soil samples down to the Agriculture Department and have it tested to see what it’s going to need.

Third, I am considering doing something that I have attempted before. That is starting my plants from seed. In the past I have always purchased pre-started plants at the hardware store or nursery. This year I am backed up by the best community of advice that money can buy. What could possibly go wrong?

Right now my plans are to put plants in the ground at the end of March or the beginning of April. This should put me past the last of the frosts. So, assuming that this is a reasonable plan,
1:when should I start planting the seeds in the little containers?
2:which kind of containers would you recommend for seed starting?

Last of all (at least for the moment) what should I be doing, or at least thinking about, that I have not even considered as yet?
You need advice from people in your climate. You must have an extension service in your state.. My sil, a transplanted northerner, planted tomatoes and watched them grow a foot a day. They burned out before the fruit ripened. You need plants and info for your area. I remember seeing professional pickers in May picking a field of tomatoes , on a trip to Florida. If that helps.

TerryLP

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Big Red. Thanks, I haven’t yet decided what kind of containers or pots I’ll use but it will something like you suggested. I am not familiar with the term “dampening off”. I have no idea what that is.

If you do get down here let me know, I may pick your brain, but I won’t put you to work .

Latest posts