Zinnia

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just found a pack of zinnia seed. I must be dumb because I've tried a few times to start zinnia in the house and FAILED!

So now I have this packet... give me some advice to germinate these babies and get them started. I'm so excited to try again. I would love a ton of these in the garden so I want to start them ALL!!! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
V, zinnias are rather prone to fungal diseases. Could that be why you have had problems?

They don't really need to be started indoors. I do that but I could direct-sow the seed and the plants would still have time to put on a show.

Do you think you might have more success out where there is more air movement and sunshine?

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never tried starting zinnias in the house. I wait until the ground is warm and prepare a small bed. For me, that means turning over the sod and picking out the grass and roots. Then I scatter the zinnia seeds and gently rake the dirt around. You might try sprinkling dirt on them just enough to cover them. I'm not that controlled but I don't think you want them buried very deep. I think 1/4" maybe. I do keep the soil damp, not wet.

I don't know if the soil needs to be warm but I wait until it is.

Not very detailed or scientific, I know, but I get plenty of zinnias this way. I save seeds every year instead of buying new ones. I do marigolds exactly the same way.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try coir. It comes in bricks. You add water to rehydrate it add it grows 4-6 times in volume. I am a daylily breeder.My germination is 90% higher since using it. It may also work well for your zinnias as it is steryl.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'll try some in the house again... but I will save 1/2 to go direct sow and see what happens.

My marigold pretty much breed themselves and I move them where I want after they start. My mums also do it... I don't know WHY I fail with zinnia! hahaha

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why don't you try some in your cold frame? I think they would do much better with natural light.... Even I start them in the ground, so I suspect you would have good success.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Lesa, good excuse to finally clean out the coldframe since I've used it as pot storage all winter! LOL :lol:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem, I think you would have better luck starting zinnia indoors if you use the little jiffy pots or at least peat pots, that you can plant pot and all. Zinnias don't like to be disturbed once they are growing, making transplanting difficult. Also, if growing indoors under lights, you could get some air circulating around them to prevent mildew.

Latest posts