Zone 10A

RIrs

Leafing Out
Reaction score
OK I need some help on growing veggies in zone 10A. I always get my seeds in and everything ready but by the time I plant I am always late. Is there anyone who is also in this zone that can help me? I want to grow some stuff now but I dont know what to grow. All I was able to grow this year was watermelon and still only got 4 melons. I need some help please any info/help will help me.

Thanks,
Tony

RIrs

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Is there really no one in Zone 10a?

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In 10a you should have a fair amount of time to grow whatever you want, though I suspect you'll be seeing temperatures hot enough that some things may not like direct afternoon sun.

When is your first hard frost, sometime in November? If so pick things which fruit within this ~ 150 day window or adjust as appropriate to that. Of course, buying plants at a nursery will give you a month or more head start

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Haha, 10a sounds more like central America to me :lol: just kidding! Sorry I can't help, I'm a lousy 4!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zone 10 is south central Florida.

Also, the desert of extreme southern California is zone 10.

Actually, these are quite different areas and probably not similar in summer vegetable growing, at all!

I had thought that our good Louisiana gardeners would respond since some of them have been around the last couple of days but then I checked and even New Orleans isn't considered zone 10.

I'd better not get started on hardiness zones and vegetable gardening. I mean, much of western Washington is in the same zone as east Texas!

Steve

RIrs

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Im in Naples fl. But I haveing a problem with the sun burining the plants in the afternoon. Im hoping some of you can help me. I have 6 acreas but hardly any trees so can really make any shade.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not in zone 10, but have similar problems in OK our summers are very hot and the sun burns up plants just for fun!

You really need some shade, w/o any trees you may need to get a little creative. Plant taller sun loving plants to the south and west of your veggies to provide some relief / shade. Some well placed posts and shade cloth etc....

If your summers are dry too (ours are) then thick mulch even if it isn't real dry it will help to keep the dirt under it a little cooler.

Sunflowers grow tall and seem to do well in hot sunny places, okra, if you put a fence or trellis gourds seem to do well. Even if you don't want these plants they can shade the ones you do want.

kremond

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am in Lakeland, Fl, zone 9a, and I have learned that all plants that will take full sun in other areas will need afternoon shade here.
On vegetables, this is my first year attempting a summer garden (been here less than 2 years, and afraid to lose everything to the heat like I did in Texas 3 years in a row). My malabar spinach is huge, yard long beans growing FAST, calabaza squash picking up, sweet potatoes still slow (but looking healthy).
There is a blog, from John Starnes from Tampa, very interesting with great articles on heat loving vegetables for hot humid summers like ours. Hope it might help you.

Latest posts