Zone 4

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think you're going to have to be a little more specific. What kinds of plants? Vegetables? Flowers? What kind of flowers? Annuals? Perennials? Be more specific and you'll get all kinds of answers :bouquet

cherndon712

Sprout
Reaction score
I mostly grow veggies, though I'd like to grow some stuff to feed my chickens/ducks/geese/turkeys/rabbits, too!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cherndon (is that Cher 'n' Don?), the University of Wyoming has a 25 page pdf file on "Gardening: Vegetables in Wyoming." They've really emphasized short-season varieties and I thought the idea of using windbreaks and fences is a good one :)!

Food storage info may also come in handy.

Hope it helps a little. :caf I'm in a not-such-different area but not-quite-the-same.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to garden in barely zone 4.

I worked at a nursery there.

The plants can be sorted into types:

Trees
Shrubs
Perennials, biennials
Herbs
Annuals
Vegetables

Each of those can be subdivided, and there are mixed types, such as Shade plants, or edible perennials

If you'd like to talk about zone barely 4 growing of any of these groups, let me know.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many seed and plant catalogs will give you a hardiness zone for their products. I once saw a Victory Garden episode where they showed a man in ALASKA that grows giant vegetables. He had an amazing system. Can you believe it would be worth gardening there?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a relative who lives near anchorage, and yes, they grow huge things. Not far from the coast, protected spot, and mosdst of all, really long days in summer, plus large gradient in day length.

Latest posts