zones

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not sure what zone I am in since we moved. Every chart I look at has us in a different zone. I have seen us anywhere fron zone 8-11!!!

We average mid- eighties with some low90's in the summer.Winter we get down in single digits. We have lots of wind as we live in a valley and it whips right through, so our temps are reduced by wind chill.

We have very rocky soil, but fertile.

HELP!

Monica

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Monica -

Did I see on another post that you're in the CA Mountains? If so, I don't think that'd put you into zone 11, or even 10. With California's little micro-climates, sometimes it's better to use the Sunset Western Garden zones.

Here is the descriptive page:
http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Reference/GardenRef/WesternClimateZones.html#NorCal

and the map page:
http://www.sunset.com/sunset/web/Sponsors/Garden/sunsetmonrovia_r1/htmlfiles/botwzones.html

And, if you want the standard USDA zone pages:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-sw1.html

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
BB- According to those I still am in between 8-11, I know you disagree. We live at 5800ft. our summers average low 90's, winters single digits, now and then minus. We have strong winds more than often. According to sunset with low winter temps and 90* windy summer temps, that puts us in 11. Other discriptions put us at 8, some at 9.
That's why I am sooo confused. It was easy gardening at the beach!

Monica

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh! Now I understand!

Sunset zones 8 - 11 are probably correct! That makes perfect sense. I thought you were referring to USDA zones! USDA Zone 11 has a minimum low of 40 degrees. That better fits Hawaii, but not CA mountains. See my sig-line? I have both listed. We were talking apples and oranges. :lol:

The key, as I understand it, with the USDA zones is that they look primarily at winter chill. Sunset takes into account all kinds of micro-climates, which can affect the west in ways that you don't see in other parts of the country. Even then, you may have to guess and tweak a bit. Technically, I live a 1 block walk from Sunset zone 24 and am actually in zone 22. But zone 22 stretches inland for a bit, and as you well know, when you live 3.5 miles from the beach (as I do), it's a pretty big difference from living 12 miles from the beach. So, I err to the one block difference, figuring that it better suits my environment.

You might be able to get a better idea of what you're dealing with from your county cooperative extension. Since you're at an elevation and are also affected by wind, it's entirely possible that someone who lives a 1000 ft. below or above you, or even on a less windy side of the mountain, may have a different zone than you do. You should be able to find a contact address for your county cooperative extension on the Internet.

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll do that. I know what you mean I lived a ten min. walk from the beach for almost 25 yrs.

Monica

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow! 10 minutes is very close! Yes, I can see how that would be quite a difference from where you are now. Bet you have more land now, though!

There are probably some things that you can now grow that you couldn't grow by the ocean. I find the plotting and planning of what and how to grow something to be a good part of the fun. Once you get the answer on your zone, you'll have a better idea what direction you can go.

Post pics when you do!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you say "single digitS'," Monica :)?

USDA zones are based entirely on "Average Annual Minimum Temperatures" as Backyard Buddies suggests. Zone 7a has minimum averages of 0 to 5 F and is also found in "Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; South Boston, Virginia." Here's the page with the temps rather than the "broad brush" map.

In a mountainous area, these zones sometimes don't make much sense. Not only the elevation creates differences but wind patterns and exposure do too. In certain locations, I bet one could have different "Average Annual Minimum Temperatures" in the same yard :p.

Steve's digits

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, single digits! Both last winter and this winter we had several days that it was 3* and windy! We estimated the wind speed at about 15 mph, according to our wind chill chart that would make it somewhere below zero. That IS unusual here but it does happen at least once every winter. Most of the time during the winter it is in the 25*-35* range.

We now have 5acres.

Monica

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm not single, Monica. In fact, I left my single ways . . . 39 years ago . . .

Oh, you mean temperature-wise!

I haven't moved much lately . . . ya know, domestic life, but the climate has been changing here.

I really should go with the new Arbor Day analysis. It doesn't show a zone 5 location anywhere here-abouts for around 50 miles. The USDA hasn't done an official reevaluation in 2 decades, however.

You go with what can be expected for a minimum temperature over Winter. For zone 5 it's 10 below, or colder. We had 2 nights with below zero temperatures this Winter but it's been 5 years since it was -10F . . . once. Really, I should be designating my zone as a "6a" by now.

Sunset is more precise but they are drawing in data that goes beyond Winter hardiness and even beyond climate - probably all justified.

digitS'

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I didn't even realize what I had written digits:gig

I know what you mean about changing temps. I certainly don't go along with the global warming thing, but temps have been changing for the last twenty yrs.

When we were planning on moving from the beach we almost moved central/northern ID. We decided to stay in a state that we hate because DH has a good job that will be there for him as long as the co. is there. We love our area now, but we sure would love to be out of CA and have more property and less neighbors. Oh and of course better hunting!!

Monica

I have several sisters in ID, but they all live around Boise, ugh.

Latest posts