Zucchini & Bean Tee Pee

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know all you guys are tired of my bean tee pee and zucchini "woes", but I have a question. In the three sisters style garden you would plant corn and then beans and then "winter" squash.

So if I have bamboo tee-pee's for my beans, could I use zucchini's at the base of the tee-pee's for weed control or would this be bad on my air circulation? I have a very humid climate here and I believe the humidity and the squash bug did my crop in last year.

To prove it was more the space thing, not but 300 yards from my house, my families garden (shared plot) had one yellow squash plant with nothing around it, and it was a big beautiful plant. No squash bug damage.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, that is the three sister's idea.
The beans will really fill the bottom of that tee pee. You won't need anything under it for weed control.
Air circulation is so important- especially for those "prone to mildew things." I think you are on the right track, thinking about spacing.
Those squash bugs are evil- I hope you can keep them at bay!
Happy Gardening!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a possible downside to the 3 sisters. Humidity could cause you to lose the squash to mildew, but the corn and beans will come out fine. You can use melons too, though. Pick a resistant variety. Crimson sweet watermelons worked really well for me. Your county ag extension service could also recommend a good mildew resistant variety for your area.

Latest posts