Zucchini Chips

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anyone ever made them? If so what recipe did you use? I have read about using spices (salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne, parsley mixture) and cutting 1/4 inch thick. Do you peel them?

Thanks
Nancy

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not sure if you are talking about fried chips? If you fry them you coat them in some egg/milk dip and then dredge them in Panko bread crumbs or homemade. I prefer Panko as they are specially made to stay crunchy. Then you fry in oil. You can pan fry in about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet or deep fry. Don't crowd the pan or your oil will drop in temp and your zukes can soak up extra oil.

Or, I do a more healthy version. You can do the same as above and oven fry. Use non stick cooking spray on a cookie sheet. Cook at about 400-425 quickly just until they brown. You may have to flip them over to brown both sides. Yummy.

Or. I just use non stick spay in a non stick skillet, slice zukes about 1/4 inch, lightly brush with olive oil(ever so lightly) and sprinkle with your fav season salt, garlic, pepper etc. I cook them just until they start to brown but not cook all the way through so that they are not mushy. They still have a nice texture. I could eat these all day and they are great for you.

PS-I don't peel them. Any veg has more nutrients in the peel, but if you would rather you can. Zukes have such a soft peel and it tastes fine.

Texas Fluffy Feet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I make the fried ones like Nubsmum and eat them dipped in Ranch Dressing. Yours sound delish too though are they dried some way instead of fried?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use a similar method as described by Nubsmum, we just make our own seasoned bread crumbs.

The bread crumbs are seasoned with sage, rosemary, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. We mix our bread crumbs with a little bit of cornmeal and flour. This seems to give them a bigger crunch. I used to have a recipe for battered zucchini but, alas, can't seem to find it.

Experiment on whatever your favorite flavors are. Zucchini taste great with everything.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK here is what I did. I did peel them, sliced 1/4 inch thick, sprinkled them with powdered garlic, sea salt, cracked black pepper, very little cayenne and mixed really well. Then I placed them in my Nesco dehydrator and ran it on high (155) for 8-9 hours. When done a cooled off they had a nice cruch to them. DH and GS said they would have no problem snacking on them.

Nancy

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have done other summer squash (patty pan and yellow crookneck.) just like classic fried green tomatoes; dredged in flour, or flour with some corn meal. Mmmmm! :)

I cook them in a pan with olive oil. And no, we don't peel them, but we pick them still tender.

Of course herbs and spices are individual. :)

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OH I fry squash all the time, can't seem to get enough of fried zucchini.

But zucchini chips are different.

The ones I put in the dehydrator turned out really good, shared some with friends and they are going to do the same.

We had some last night after a great fish dinner that the 4 of us got on a fishing trip to a local lake. We sat on the porch and discissed the seasoning I used and decided to use a little less black pepper and add more garlic.

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I fry zucchini breaded, like eggplant, and then make it into parmesan (sp?) for my 2 yo. He can't take the acid in the eggplant, so it is a nice alternative.

I've never tried to dehydrate them though. Hmmm, I may need to get mine out when they start to ripen. ;)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a really great idea!

I do happen to use eggplant for that, and several other dishes during the season, like an eggplant lasagna and spaghetti, but if one couldn't eat eggplant, or simply had plenty of zuchinni, that would work nicely!

Thank you for the clever idea! :)

Latest posts