Zucchini-male blooms only ???

country lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am terrible at growing zucchini. I got no zucchini last year because the bugs ruin the plants. This year I used wall-o-waters at the start and now have row covers. So far I've only seen male blooms. What am I doing wrong? I've never had this happen before. Any suggestions? BTW, I plan to dust the soil around the plants with wood ash. Anyone try that?

Thanks.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
country lady said:
I am terrible at growing zucchini. I got no zucchini last year because the bugs ruin the plants. This year I used wall-o-waters at the start and now have row covers. So far I've only seen male blooms. What am I doing wrong? I've never had this happen before. Any suggestions? BTW, I plan to dust the soil around the plants with wood ash. Anyone try that?

Thanks.
I have never used wood ash around them either, but was planning on experimenting with that idea today!
Looking forward to more replys.

TammyTX

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Don't forget you can eat those male blossoms! :) Just remember to leave some when you have female flowers.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
plants will set lots of male flowers at first, and then female flowers will start to appear.
And almost every time when the first female blossom shows up there is no male blossom available to pollinate it. %$#*(& :barnie

Latest posts