Zucchini Question

Skeeter

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have about 15 zucchini plants, so far I have no zucchinis, they bloom like crazy but will not set fruit. What am I doing wrong? This has happened for the past few seasons.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Skeeter

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You can always try to hand pollinate since it seems as if the beneficial insects are passing them by. You can use a soft bristle paint brush or pick the smaller male flower and rub it on the larger female flower.

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hand pollination would be a good thing. Use your fingers, or a soft brush. That should solve the no zuke problem.

calypso985

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Skeeter, the first question that came to my mind was this: do you plant a different species of zucchini each season, or are they the same variety each year?

IF they are the same variety (possibly even from the same seeds), perhaps are raising plants that are for whatever reason failing to produce both male & female flowers. I will assume that you know the difference. If not, tell me, and I will explain how to identify.

IF you for sure have both male & female flowers, then I concur with the other posters who suggested hand-pollination. Could be that you aren't getting any pollinators in your garden. We haven't had any honeybees in my region for several seasons now, but this year they are finally returning. However, bumblebees, a variety of flies and even some yellowjackets visit my squash blossoms, with good results. I've been getting zukes and crooknecks since the 3rd of July, and the pattypans kicked in about 3 weeks later. The variety of zucchini I grow is called "Black Beauty", which has been a reliable producer. Which reminds me: I need to save some seeds this year, as my seed supply is depleted :)