Zucchini...

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use all the male flowers to hand polinate most of my squashes. The bees just dont do the trick for us. We have enough of them around, but I end up hand pollinating all the time. Enjoy ur zuke!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
Thanks for the welcome, Hattie! I know I'll like it
here -- the peeps on BYC are great, so I was excited to see there was a gardening specific forum, too!

Thanks, all, for adding to the thread with what you do with the male flowers. I think we'll give them a try. Beats just composting them.

We're FINALLY getting some rain here on the farm today -- they've been getting storms all around us for the past few weeks (sometimes even within a few miles of us), but we just get "sunny + 100" day after day. Today we've gotten some rain, and hopefully tomorrow we'll get more of the same. The corn and squash I planted on Sunday are just barely starting to break ground ... I'm grateful for today's cooler temps, rain, and the cooler temps in the coming week's forecast. Looks like I got those seeds in the ground at a good time!

Now if my pumpkin seeds would arrive, I could get those in the ground during this good weather, too!

Enjoy your day!! :D
:frow

You are very welcome! :D

Here in my area of the UK we are having our first lot of rain for nearly a month & my garden has perked up a lot & the seeds I planted during the previous warm spell are coming shooting through & the the stuff I transplanted is growing taller almost in front of my eyes. Luckily the rain is mostly gentle showers so the plants are not getting battered.

I see you breed Dexter Cattle. I love them & the beef is delicious. I had a lot of it when in Ireland on holiday & we can get it (at a price ) here.

I hope you enjoy the recipes. In Italy you see bunches of the flowers for sale in the markets , freshly picked every morning & cooked by the housewives for lunch that day. We can occasionally buy them here at Farmers Markets but not often. I use mine straight from the garden. Oh! be careful to wash them carefully as otherwise you might get a little extra unwanted protein --- usually those little black thunderflies. Pat them dry before filling etc.....!! :happy_flower

Enjoy your good weather! We all seem to need something different......!!!!

:) Hattie :)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
Thanks for the welcome, Hattie! I know I'll like it here -- the peeps on BYC are great, so I was excited to see there was a gardening specific forum, too!

Thanks, all, for adding to the thread with what you do with the male flowers. I think we'll give them a try. Beats just composting them.

We're FINALLY getting some rain here on the farm today -- they've been getting storms all around us for the past few weeks (sometimes even within a few miles of us), but we just get "sunny + 100" day after day. Today we've gotten some rain, and hopefully tomorrow we'll get more of the same. The corn and squash I planted on Sunday are just barely starting to break ground ... I'm grateful for today's cooler temps, rain, and the cooler temps in the coming week's forecast. Looks like I got those seeds in the ground at a good time!

Now if my pumpkin seeds would arrive, I could get those in the ground during this good weather, too!

Enjoy your day!! :D
:frow :frow

Hi, I am back again because this article just arrived & I thought the photos of the flowers might be useful. She is a great cook, an American woman who married an Italian & now runs wonderful cooking classes both there & in the US etc. I urge you to try her recipes as they are wonderful. Her blog is one of my absolute favourites & makes by day when new articles arrive. :celebrate

http://divinacucina.blogspot.com/2010/06/sex-and-zucchini-101-on-blossoms.html

I hope it won't be too long before I too have zucchini & their blossoms to cook . I can't wait to try out all the new recipes...........:D

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts