zuccini gone wild!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have a zuccini thats out of my reach and was surprise how big it was it grew over 15 inches. it felt like it weigh over 3 pounds. I was wonder any one ever let it grow and how big did the zuccini grow?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not a very competitive person for things like that and hadn't read that thread. It might come from having only 1 brother and he is over 3 years older than I am. He always won everything! Then, he goes off to school and is every coach's dream! I'd show up 3 years later and it was always, "When are ya gonna turn out?! Huh, kid?"

I'd just duck.

No. My big thing with zucchini is getting them early enuf! Yeah, that takes real attention. "Out of my reach," DL? I know they can be hairy, nasty things but it is just a matter of positioning yourself right . . . If you drive the knife point straight into the stem, twisting them off works well. (Twisting them off without the knife sometimes leave one holding half a zucchini!) Stab - right hand. Twist - left hand. Drop in bucket, blossom-end up.

Steve

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I wish I left it on my vine! I picked it already, maybe the next one I will let it go and see what happens!! Those things grow really fast ! :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Desertlady, there is a game that is played with giant zucchini. This usually occurs when the zucchini has produced so much that the family has eaten all they can stand, the freezer is full, jars line the pantry shelves, neighbors won't open their doors to you anymore and everybody locks the car doors so you don't sneak zucchini in their car when they aren't looking. :lol: You get discouraged and quit picking zucchini.........then go find GIANT HUGE zucchinis. What to do with them??

ZUCCHINI BASEBALL!! Gather all the neighborhood and use the GIANT zucchini for baseball bats. You hit the baseball, the GIANT zucchini splatters, throw down what's left and run for first base. Variations of the game include using tomatoes for the baseball. Have fun, wash down with the water hose when done. :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, on a more serious note, make zucchini cobbler! Zukes that size are perfect for cobbler!

Or, split lengthwise, scoop seeds out. Then carefully scoop the squash, being careful to leave 1/2" on the rind. Chop the scooped out squash in chunks. Chop a large onion, bell pepper and a few stalks of celery. Brown a pound of hamburger, drain grease. Then add the chopped vegetables and stir in a cup or two of spaghetti sauce. Heat through and spoon into the zucchini shells. Place on a cookie sheet and bake in oven at 350 for 45 minutes. At 35 minutes, cover top with shredded cheese, pop back in oven.

You can cook both halves or freeze one for later.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
OK, on a more serious note, make zucchini cobbler! Zukes that size are perfect for cobbler!

Or, split lengthwise, scoop seeds out. Then carefully scoop the squash, being careful to leave 1/2" on the rind. Chop the scooped out squash in chunks. Chop a large onion, bell pepper and a few stalks of celery. Brown a pound of hamburger, drain grease. Then add the chopped vegetables and stir in a cup or two of spaghetti sauce. Heat through and spoon into the zucchini shells. Place on a cookie sheet and bake in oven at 350 for 45 minutes. At 35 minutes, cover top with shredded cheese, pop back in oven.

That sounds really good. Wish my zucchini was even close to bearing. Another reason to hate you people in south.....eating fresh garden produce while we're trying to get planted. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
baymule said:

That sounds really good. Wish my zucchini was even close to bearing. Another reason to hate you people in south.....eating fresh garden produce while we're trying to get planted. :)
I love you too sweetie!! :smack

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: