zuchinni question

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my first year to grow zuchinni. My plants are large and are producing lots of zuchinni but they are very skinny. I read that you are supposed to harvest them at about 6 inches. Well at that size they are only about 1" in diameter. Should I leave them until they thicken up or continue picking them thin?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They may be struggling with the heat or from being too dry where they won't just shoot off and produce. If you wait too long, even if they are small... they will get tough. They should be just fine to eat now though.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, I am going to keep picking. The first ones were really good. I don't like over grown fruit and I don't mind they smaller size but my hubby questioned them. Guys and they size!:gig

Andy J

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I purposely let some of mine get about 10"-12" long and about 2" in diameter.I slice them 1/4"thick,coat them with olive oil and seasoning and grill them.I love them this way.

I also grate the larger ones,mix with flour,onion and egg and fry them.Mighty tasty!

Andy J

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's probably the variety you planted. Some varieties are thicker than others. Black beauty is good if you like a more normal configuration, or cocozelle if you like a heartier flavor.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Men! :gig

The young ones taste better. I stir fry them in butter :D
I sliced it up and lightly floured and fried like potato chips. It was good. I think I pick some tomorrow. I should have 3-4 ready then.

Latest posts