A night on the mountain

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the annual things dh and I like to make sure we do is spend a night on a favorite mountain and sleep under the stars. This year we were about a month later than usual and decided to go at the last minute. It was now or never for this year.

We were at 6,000' and when it's clear the stars are just awesome.
We didn't get to see many stars because of the low clouds and mist, but we didn't get rained on either, and the clouds drifted enough at around 2 a.m. to get some star gazing in.

The larch, aspen and cottonwoods were brilliant, and the next morning was clear and sunny for the long drive back down. I'm glad we went, even though I was secretly dreading the cold and the possibility of rain. I didn't let on to dh, these adventures make him so happy! I thought I'd share a little of the scenery with you all.

DSCN2673.JPG DSCN2669.JPG

DSCN2656.JPG DSCN2667.JPG DSCN2660.JPG DSCN2670.JPG DSCN2653.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are some very nice pictures thistle. Did you sleep in a tent? It almost looks like you had room in the back of the tent to sleep in. So were you cold?

I think that's a neat thing to do.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's awesome. And so romantic! :) Yes, I was wondering about the temperature too. I'd imagine it was chilly at night.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We slept on cots under the sky. It actually only got down to 40, but it was breezy and it felt colder to me! Dh has lava for blood and hardly ever gets cold, but I had on 3 thermal shirts, sweatpants, wool socks and my insulated hoody and slept in two sleeping bags. I wasn't cold though. :D
Dh calls me his little laundry basket because I layer until my arms don't bend. :p

We slept with our heads next to the open tailgate so dh had access to his shotgun. There's grizzlies and wolves in the area. We didn't see anything, although we have seen tracks on other visits.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the annual things dh and I like to make sure we do is spend a night on a favorite mountain and sleep under the stars. This year we were about a month later than usual and decided to go at the last minute. It was now or never for this year.
I think that sounds like a nice thing to do. Is there a story behind that annual tradition that you might want to share? It sounds like a good time. Certainly the scenery would have made the day a special one even without the night under the stars.

I would like sharing time with my spouse under the stars, but the "Big White Hunter" I thought I was marrying 43 years ago seems to have past that phase of his life before we met. No hunting, no fishing, no boating, no swimming, no water skiing, no long treks through the woods or over the fields. Nope, we've never done any of these things I had heard so much about from his family while we were dating. Now, I fear one of us would walk off and get lost.

I am glad that you decided to keep the tradition with your spouse. It is important that daily life not interfere from a special time together once in a while.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there wouldn't have been much sleeping going on, for me, if wolves and bears roam the area. And Sasquatch. And porcupines, and foxes, and skunks, and squirrels, and and....

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds fun! I really like all the pics, especially #1 with the tamarack needles on the road. last time DH and i slept under the stars was, ahhh, eons ago when we were dating. We spent the night on the offload platform for the ski lift at our local "hill" watching the Perseids meteor shower. WOW, i've never seen more shooting stars. Now...i bet i'd wuss out and say "its going to be too cold!" Good for you for going even though you were apprehensive.

Latest posts