Anyone have production problems with cucs this year?

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Since May, I've planted three types of cucumbers in succession after the previous ones died, and all the plants vined up, flowered, then died. I've had tremendous cuc harvests in the past years, but not this year. Not a single cucumber.

Anyone else had unusual problems with cucumbers this year?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not here in Eastern OK, have had a great cuke year, well except for the small pickling cukes those vines all died. Just this week the other cuke vines are looking rough, but have had a huge onslaught of spotted cuke beetles.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I tried a new (to me) variety this year and was very disapointed in the results. Weak vines and a small harvest although the quality was good. It wasn't the soil or any specific disease. The vines were just puny and the tendrils were so weak they had to be tied to the trellis even though I had twine provided for them to climb on.
I have to admit I bought because of the name Homemade Pickles, without doing my due diligence. I found out later that I'm not the only one that had poor harvests with it..

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is the first year in a long time that I have not made any pickles - at all. Usually I have more cukes than I know what to do with. I think a late cool spell stunted mine for a bit and they just never recovered. By the time I figured that out, it was too hot to try again. I got some for salads and such. All I planted this year was National Pickling, because I have had such great harvests from that variety for so many years. Time to diversify a bit more next year.

gettinaclue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Not a single cucumber came out of my garden this year. NOT. A. ONE. I tried 2 or 3 different varieties and they all went kerflewy.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Little Leaf in the greenhouse and my garden. This variety is good for salads or pickles. We have been picking them, and pickling them, since early June, and we still have plants producing.

82112.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our got tough skins and large hard seeds. It was hotter and drier than normal. Might be why.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We only got six cucs off of nine plants GRR! The plants were stunted and really puny, the cucs they did produce were bitter and also tasted like soap. Going to try A different variety next season.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My Munchers from the garden were delicious, not super productive tho. Done producing now tho, so i bought a cuke at a local farmers market. IT WAS DISGUSTING! I was so disappointed. Put the whole thing on the compost. Guess i'm done enjoying really nummy cukes for this year!

Latest posts