Anyone have production problems with cucs this year?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I tried a new (to me) variety this year and was very disapointed in the results. Weak vines and a small harvest although the quality was good. It wasn't the soil or any specific disease. The vines were just puny and the tendrils were so weak they had to be tied to the trellis even though I had twine provided for them to climb on.
I have to admit I bought because of the name Homemade Pickles, without doing my due diligence. I found out later that I'm not the only one that had poor harvests with it..
What was the variety?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did get some pickles done- but very early in the season. Then the hot and dry weather started and that was the end of those plants. My second planting has been fruitful- but not enough to make pickles. We are just enjoying them in salads, etc. I definitely blame the weather on my poor results....

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
hoodat said:
I tried a new (to me) variety this year and was very disapointed in the results. Weak vines and a small harvest although the quality was good. It wasn't the soil or any specific disease. The vines were just puny and the tendrils were so weak they had to be tied to the trellis even though I had twine provided for them to climb on.
I have to admit I bought because of the name Homemade Pickles, without doing my due diligence. I found out later that I'm not the only one that had poor harvests with it..
What was the variety?
Homemade Pickles was the name of it. It's an heirloom variety and if everyone else got the poor results I did I would have to conclude the name is the only reason it has survived. It's quite possible someone in a different zone got better results.

Latest posts