Apple Delight!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here the votes unanimously went for apple pie and applesauce.
I love a warm bowl of applesauce with cinnamon and buttered toast.
But I would love to make some cider from them if I knew somebody I could borrow a press from.

I'm doing my duty today and making applesauce, but I'm itching to be outside getting my pre winter chores done.

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
As I understand it, it's traditional to give a portion of the cider harvest to the owner of the press...

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
From the website I got it from.

Because apple cider is unfiltered, this jelly looks a bit cloudy in the jar—much like a glass of apple cider. The intense, tangy apple flavor is complemented by a luxurious, molasses note from the brown sugar. I used cinnamon sticks, cloves, and lemon zest, but any toasty, fall-friendly spices would be delicious. Experiment with whole allspice berries, star anise, cardamom pods, or slices of fresh ginger.

Ingredients
  • 5 cups apple cider
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 strip lemon or orange zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 package low or no sugar needed powdered pectin (such as Ball)
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
Procedures

If you are going to preserve the jelly, prepare the jars and lids: place six half-pint jars on a rack in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the jars, and bring to boil over high heat. Boil for 10 minutes, then turn off heat and allow the jars to rest in the hot water. Meanwhile, put bands and lids in a small saucepan and cover with water. Heat over medium heat until the water is simmering, then remove the pan from heat and allow the bands and lids to rest in hot water until ready to use.

Measure 1/4 cup of granulated sugar into a small bowl and add the pectin. In another medium bowl, combine the remaining 1 3/4 cups of granulated sugar and the brown sugar. Set aside.

Pour the apple cider into a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Tie the cinnamon stick, lemon zest, and cloves in piece of cheesecloth and add it to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the sugar-pectin mixture and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining sugar mixture and return to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for one minute.

Remove the pot from the heat and discard the cheesecloth. Skim any foam from the surface of the jelly with a cold metal spoon.

Ladle the hot jam into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe rims of the jars, cover with lids, and screw bands on until just barely tight. Place jars on rack in pot and cover completely with water. Cover pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, uncover pot, and allow jars to rest in water for five minutes. Remove jars from pot and allow them to rest undisturbed on countertop for six hours or overnight.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/caramel-apple-cider-jelly-recipe-apple-jelly.html

Enjoy!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in the very early stages of planting a orchard. I have been fighting buying a old apple press on cl. They willn't came down on price , I haven't even bought a tree yet!!

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
there are numerous articles and ebooks online for making a cider press. I've heard a lot of good press for the Whiz Bang plans (among other things, it uses a garbage disposal unit to grind the apples before pressing). A friend of mine won a prize at the local fair for the one he built using those plans.

Latest posts