Are we a GMO or what ?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curious how silks know to take one pollen and not another. Emailed an expert I know to get to truth.

In seed business we do use sterile females so only the male has viable pollen. Even that is not fool proof so seed companies still detassle.

For organic corn growers, just like other specialty corn products (seed, popcorn, sweet corn, etc) you isolate it with another product-beans, etc. But a corn variety.

@Lavender2 iF I could, I'd agree 1000X to your post.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
tonight for dinner we are having gmo grain feed bbq chicken breasts,gmo rice and gmo peas.. and we are going to love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heres the proof
DSC_0007.JPG

i love trolls, they are so easy to bait......

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nifty is quite a tolerant person.

But, @terrielacy has been known to go absolutely ballistic!

:hide Ya know, she lives just up the road from me (Ione, WA) ... I think that there may be something in the water!

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jason - I like this and will take that advice for myself!

I do agree on much of what you post. However, you might not want to bring yourself down to lower levels and resort to name-calling (or the closest thing to it, like Steve mentioned). It's rather unnecessary and doesn't help to get your point across. I do agree with a lot of what you've posted - but actions like that only serve to create fissures and cracks in this community that we're all a part of (TEG), that and it may also degrade the experience that others have on this website.

@bobm and @jasonvivier - truce? Or can we try to keep this civil?
I agree to a truce ... there is NO need to resort to name calling.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Curious how silks know to take one pollen and not another. Emailed an expert I know to get to truth.

In seed business we do use sterile females so only the male has viable pollen. Even that is not fool proof so seed companies still detassle.

For organic corn growers, just like other specialty corn products (seed, popcorn, sweet corn, etc) you isolate it with another product-beans, etc. But a corn variety.

@Lavender2 iF I could, I'd agree 1000X to your post.

Whoa, I would be really liked! :lol:

That corn had me curious also. I don't know much about growing corn, but a lupine is a lupine and they mess around out there. Sounds like a variety that really needs it's DNA studied. :)
Hope you can find out something about it.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's something in the evolution of the corn or something, I actually can't remember. Looking forward to that reply seedcorn.

Corn can always be isolated with another variety of corn that is early/late enough to avoid the other corn's tasseling period.

If the corn is grown in big enough blocks (bigger than what many people have room for) you can just save your seed from the center of one varieties block and you should be OK. You might want to add new lines of that variety into what you have every few years - this technique can lead to inbreeding, which corn suffers from for the most part.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Catfish, We may have a different angle of food perparation but we both may be getting a dose of GMO, whether we wiggle and dance of not. I hope no one or their children get an unpleasant surprise.

I admire you walking the roof line with a big smile. Best of luck to you in the years ahead, best to both of us, I really mean that.