Are we a GMO or what ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In one of the latest research on human DNA as reported in "Genome Biology " an article in a research study by Alastair Crisp at University of Cambridge comparing the genome of organisms found that us humans share or parts of genes of up to 145 genes from bacteria, single celled organisms and viruses , etc. ... So how relavent is the fuss on GMO 's ? :idunno

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Frog DNA into tomatoes? Have a scientific link for that? Or source who is breeding that?

AG uses viruses to infect plants with DNA from other plants. Same as we get different DNA from viruses.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let's see... since frog legs with tomato sauce is quite tasty ( tastes like chicken ) why not save some time and fossil fuel energy in a laboratory and combine the two ? So ... as reported by a self proclaimed expert ... positive scientific proof of witches doing what nature's evolution can not ... build fire in the lower forty woods, fill cauldron with water, when water comes to a boil add organic tomatoes covered with 9 types of virus and9 types of single celled organisms, then eye of newt, wing of bat, and a frog , chant a spell and W A L A , witche's brew of tomato with frog DNA, serve with a fine wine. :drool

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now, Seedcorn, that article is from April 2009. No telling what mischief Monsanto has been up to in 6 years.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@so lucky sorry, didn't look at date. Can still be rich and sue. ;)

GMO's in USA vegetable market is a real publicity nightmare. In fact, in Indiana, poultry producers (eggs and meat) are trying to go with non-GMO corn for feed.

My problem with most anti-GMO articles is statements as fact that someone is putting animal genetics into a vegetable and it's now being used in market place. I have no knowledge as to all the things researchers are doing. But I don't make up theories and publish them as fact. It's always Monsanto's fault. The one company that I found tried to put a flounder gene in a tomato was a Canadian company that isn't Monsanto--never got out of Research. I would have been right with the most ardent organic person fighting that.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for us? Don't understand. The stance is there is no documented damage from the many years of testing to the consumer. It is a huge advantage to the producer trying to cash flow.

As far as labeling-can't guarantee anything except what a chem tests says. Even then you get false positives. Even organic can flunk the GMO test in corn. So if someone does a test, gets a positive, here come the lawyers........

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
gmo.jpg

Latest posts