Artificial Turf

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I'm looking for zero upkeep. Even though the artificial grass will need to be periodically cleaned with a leaf blower, we won't have to do it so often. The grass actually looks more real with some leaves on it. They also give you a "free" blower and it's not as loud as the usual ones.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well today I met with a landscaping guy. He does mostly edibles and natives. I told him I did not want edibles because of foot traffic and people picking things and that I wasn't crazy about natives. I should have ended the conversation there but didn't. He asked what I liked, what I wanted etc. and we talked for a total of about 20-25 minutes. At the end he said "may I ask for my consultation fee". I was surprised and told him I didn't know there was going to be a fee and how much it was for. He said $45 and that he deducts it at the end of the project. It was apparent that we weren't going to work together and I told him he didn't tell me there was going to be a fee. We just looked at each other for a long time and he finally said he was going to have to eat this one since he hadn't told me. I could tell he was upset. I feel bad that I wasted his time.

I don't mind paying for things but I don't like surprises.

What would you guys have done?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Always better to get things out front. He didn't tell you there would be a fee, that's just business. Just because he knew he charged a fee, doesn't mean that you knew he charged a fee. He should have told you BEFORE he started his "advise".

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It was his job to let you know he charges a consultation fee up front. Probably on the phone while setting up the meeting would have been best.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very unprofessional way to do business. IF a consultation fee, inform up front.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a woman come and she didn't charge me. Of course she only stayed for about 10-15 minutes and sent me the estimate.

I just assumed he would come, take a look at the space, and either give me an estimate based on the size or tell me he would send it. Ten minutes at the most and he's gone.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
All the landscapers I know charge a consultation fee, and then deduct it from the fee if they get the job.

I don't charge for consultations. I figure they get what they pay for. :D
Kidding!

However, like everybody else pointed out, it was his bad for not informing you when you set up the appointment. You were right to challenge him on it. Anyway, it's not like he was out anything but a little time.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle is right (as always :) ) You were right to challange him.
I wonder if he really does charge a consultation fee or if he decided half-way through your meeting that he wasn't going to get the job so he may as well try to get something....

Latest posts