Artificial Turf

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the start of my son's Victorian beauty -- showing three of the four colors.
10636166_841627275862060_1774476214159110057_n.jpg

This is one side of the new front porch "skirt" that we just finished and painted today.

10342998_10202189049237716_3120124168079085823_n.jpg
Here's the porch we're working to replicate.

And here is how far we've gotten. Now that the skirt is finished, the steps can be put on and the deck painted.
10612600_10202201671153256_8818902435986657428_n.jpg

We can't afford the needed new cedar siding and don't want to be repainting this big house so we're going with. . . . sigh!. . . vinyl siding in the lighter green shade, but using all J-channel will keep the trim a part of the finished house and hopefully make it look more like wood.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Smart Red, that is some project! When does he expect it to be somewhat liveable? Can you just sand the outside and paint it? Our paint lasts 20 years, that's a pretty long time. Is the old house with the porch this house or are you just using the photo as a guide to do the stairs and porch? It's a beauty even in the conditions it's in right now. At least to me it is.

Our house had vinly siding that my husband removed. Fortunately there was redwood underneath and just a few pieces of gingerbread trim missing that he was able to find or build. Our front steps had to be totally rebuild though.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, I once tried taking a picture of it and it came out very light because the sun was shining on it. I'll try again sometime. Maybe after the grass is put in.

Off to see a bench from craigslist that I think would look good in a brick patio that I hope to make between the house and lawn.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary, the siding on the bottom half of the front has already been torn off. We will add insulation and house wrap before the vinyl goes on. The old photo, taken from the book of historic homes in the community IS the house. What is showing is just the porch part that D-I-L blew up and line traced so she could experiment with color choices. The whole photograph shows the front and side of the house, although it shows the house before an addition was added to the back end. Another photo shows a wrap-around porch with a gazebo at the front corner of the house that was removed at some time.

Livable? Son and family have been living there for seven years already. They have totally remodeled the kitchen with period cupboards complete with a "dry sink" D-I-L designed and son built. When they bought -- er, we bought -- the property, it had a new roof, plumbing, and electrical before the owners realized they couldn't afford the money pit. While there isn't much done inside other than the kitchen and the office/den, there wasn't much damage either so they're living with the old plaster and floors until they get to fixing each room.

From the look of the front, you'd think the City would have been all over them for the past seven years. Trick-or-treaters won't walk up to the house that looks haunted without seasonal decorations. But one of the neighbors is a big shot in the "preservation of historic homes" and has gotten the inspectors to let son do the work as he can afford it so he's gotten passes that most homeowners wouldn't get. PTL

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red, I would love to see more photos. You know Nyboy and I love old houses, especially victorians. Tell me more about it. How many bedrooms does it have? Large yard? 2 parlors?, etc.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy, almost all of the trim is still in place inside and (surprise, surprise) considering its age was never painted. All the interior trim is made of Nyssa sylvatica, commonly known as black tupelo. Haven't been able to find a source for repairs if needed yet. Just beautiful stuff with double pocket doors, decorative trim, and wide boards for floor trim.

One of the first things we did was remove the servants' stairway to enlarge the kitchen and upstairs rooms. The formal front door opens to a curved hallway with a salon to the left behind pocket doors and the stairs with curving bannister to the right. The man who commissioned building the house was a long time Judge in Rock County so the salon was probably his office. The family used a second entrance -- that also needs a new porch.

I suppose a few inside photos are in order; probably not until Tuesday, though.

Latest posts