Artificial Turf

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, I guess to Iowa's standard it is a very small yard. Here it's bigger than most yards in San Francisco.

Mary
When I read the measurements my 1st thought was my LR is bigger! (which is 15 foot by 27 foot)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary your house is beautiful! I can't believe the $$$$ they want to put artificial turf in such a small area. And $2000 just for a design! :ep I think the TEG bunch here can bounce ideas around until you like one or two of them.

You say gravel won't work, what about flagstone laid in a design? Leave an opening where you want to put a plant. Then arrange a bench and birdbath. Your back yard is so tastefully done, I know you will make the front look good too.

2nd idea, what about brick laid in a herringbone design, or other design that you like? It would be smooth and you could rake the leaves. You could build brick planter boxes for the plants you want.
I love Baymules idea, (Better than mine!) YES, I think you could do this yourself and it would look as fabulous as your back yard. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
bay, There is an area to the left of the steps where I took out a small tree and shrubs. A patio with a bench and a large trellis behind it will go there. It will probably be brick or slate. I may add colorful pots later on. But for the lawn area I just want plants there and maybe a big rock.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about a ground cover like a hardy ivy type plant? Then just weed eat the edging to keep it trimmed up. I don't know the names of these type plants, but maybe someone here knows.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
First, I am not a designer. Agree with husband, leave the hedges.

In small area by driveway, I'd like to see some bright, low growing flowers. Mulch with something you like. my DD tells me there is a product made from old tires that holds black color and shades ground. i see the plants in a snake type formation. really need to go playful funky.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, your house is gorgeous! I love it. :love

I can. not. believe, what they want to charge for a little design. Incredible.

Around here nurseries are plenty happy to be helpful with design ideas if you just bring them a picture. Especially if you are regular customer. They can just sketch something out on a scrap piece of paper.

Eliminate the sidewalk that bisects the front, and the lawn area on the right, and fill it in with a hardscape design that is a broad walkway to your front steps. Stone or pavers with about a one inch joint that you could plant in. ( Here is where I put a plug in for Elfin thyme, very tiny leaf, tight growth and drought tolerant as well as walkable). Then with the hardscape making a very gentle curve on the left, you could plant a drought tolerant ground cover that won't compete with your beautiful house.
I'm sure you can find the perfect one that suits your growing conditions.
I'm sure your creative juices will start flowing when you start gathering ideas. You can do this without paying a designers ransom Mary!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary your house is striking! Beautiful!
I think that you should keep the house colors in mind as you design, like using bricks as your pavers and trying to find something that will echo that dark greens - how do you feel about things like yucca and aloe? You could replace the dead hedge with another sort of hedge, maybe something tall like arborvitae.
I like the idea of the formal ‘knot’ garden. Especially if you mimic a pattern from the house like the scales or diamonds from around the window.
couple of ideas:
knotgarden1.jpg
knotgarden2.jpg
knotgarden3.jpg
knotgarden4.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistle, do you mean for me to tear up the concrete? I agree that the walkway to the steps should not have been in a straight line but curved instead. When we poured it many years ago, I didn't know better. Now I wish I had also"stamped" and colored the cement. But now, it would be too expensive to tear out and start all over. So for now, it stays.

Cane, those knot gardens are beautiful and I like that english look but I'm looking for something with very low maintenance and not much trimming.

There is a succulent nursery that I'm going to tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some more ideas.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh those were just for ideas. You can make the pattern out of any plant(s).
Here's a coupple that all hen&chicks
henachickknot.jpg

henachickknot2.jpg

And this one has a hen&chick 'lawn'
henachicklawn.jpg

I'm sure the nursery folks are going to be a big help. Sounds like a fun trip.

Latest posts