Attracting Lady Bugs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I learned something today. Lady Bugs eat, besides their usual diet of pest aphids and mites, pollen and nectar. Leastwise, that's what Colorado State University tells us (link).

Many gardeners plant things that attract the pollinators. Some bees are attracted to flowers and prey on insects as well. Hover flies are in this group but I've found that yellow jackets and paper wasps show up on wild carrot and fennel. I've learned that these guys may be dangerous but they are my garden friends.

Below is a picture of flowers that have this major attraction to lady bugs! I don't know what they are doing there but assumed that it was because of aphids. However, I cannot find any aphids! The lady bugs swarm the plants!!

Aphids can be a big problem in my garden. I really shouldn't bother growing cabbage. There's no good organic way to kill the aphids and they do so much damage. And sure, they like broccoli. However, the broccoli has been nearly aphid-free this year! Why? I wonder if it isn't because the broccoli is planted next to the Strawflowers!

They were all over the plants and soon, all over me while I was cutting the Strawflower for drying! Dozens! Hundreds! Maybe Thousands!

:) Steve
let's see if I can edit in the picture instead of a link:
dsc01038-jpg.4016

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, @so lucky .

I used the shaky pc to post this so it really messed it up - duplicate threads/link in one thread & picture in the other o_O.

I decided to use the dry flowers since they open. I cut them before, while the flowers are buds.

I bet every stem averages more than 3 lady bugs each. Most fly away immediately but enough hang around that they are all over the bunch of flowers, my arm, hat, etc.

One even bit me! That's what I like! Spunk.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strawflowers! I didn't know that, thanks for sharing. Aphids turned my collards gray this early spring, so I just left them. The lady beetles showed up, bred and multiplied and soon there were no more aphids. So if you want the good bugs to show up, don't poison the bad bugs.

I also have bright orange assassin bugs in my garden. They swarm all over the green beans and butterbeans and most everything else. Used to get gray aphids on the green beans, but no more!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I never heard of a bright orange assassin bug will look it up and thanks for the word on straw flowers! I will be planting several this spring are they perennial? did you order the seeds? or buy the plants?
I do know that there is a japanese bug that looks like a lady bug that bites, from what I've read the lady bugs don't bite. sometimes they hang out together

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a green ladybug on my lime tree. Didn't know if it was a good or bad bug, so I left it. :rolleyes:

Mary
A green lady bug is no lady! Sounds like a cucumber beetle-CRUSH, SMASH, SMUSH, KILL IT!! Google cucumber beetle for a picture, some are spotted, some are striped black on lime green. Pretty, but BAD BUGS! :tongue

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It may have been CSU who say lady bugs "usually" don't bite, altho' the Asian variety is more inclined.

I think that they can bite all they want - kinda like the coyote who comes after the dang bunnies! With ladybugs, it's a love bite anyway.

Strawflowers are easy to start from seed. They are an annual. I doubt that it is even very important for strawflowers to be started indoors.

Steve

Latest posts