Attracting Lady Bugs

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I heard the same drivel from the UW-Extension people. "Asian Ladybird Beetles do not bite!"

No, not in the conventional way of stinging or biting with skin damage, but they do take a quick 'taste' of your arm, leg, neck, etc. when they land. You are startled and quickly brush them off, they fly a short distance, and return to 'taste' again and again, and again. I call that biting.

They also are stinky, love to crawl into warm houses over the winter en mass, and leave a staining pooh all over the wall, curtain, clothes, etc. They will also bite, poop, and stink if they get stuck inside your clothing.

We are fast approaching that time of year when the soybeans are harvested and the Asian Ladybird Beetles take flight into eyes, ears, mouth, and down clothing. It is a time of year when I seldom venture out during the daylight hours.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Bay, it looked exactly like the image on google, green with the spots. I going to see if I can find it.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think Red considers them "the enemy." Ladybugs = Ladybird beetles.

With so many people who keep chickens and pets, my coyote appreciation may be considered misplaced. Nevertheless, I really appreciated starting off the growing season bunny-free this year. Wish it would have continued and can only think that Wiley Coyote is the responsible party.

Here is Mike McGrath's expert Dr. Linda Gilkeson:

She replies: “You bet those little critters can bite! They don't have any kind of venom or irritating saliva (like mosquitoes, black flies, etc.), but they are just big enough for us to feel it when they pinch our skin.

“I suspect the reason people are so shocked,” she continues, “isn't that they got nipped (a minor insult compared to the bites of most other insects), but that it was the famously friendly ladybug of song and legend that did the nipping. It REALLY freaks some people out. . .” (link)

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red are ladybugs and ladybirds the same?
Ladybugs are native, helpful garden predators. Asian Ladybird beetles were deliberately imported into America to 'help' farmers. I appreciate what the Asian beetles do, but don't especially like them. I'd much prefer to have lots of natives doing the job.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pretty flowers @digitS' ... you wouldn't think anything would be attracted to strawflowers, even the buds seem sort of dry and unappealing, to a bug anyway. I have not grown them in years, but even in my short season they did well sown right in the garden. Some perennials that attract lady bugs - coreopsis, cone flower, yarrow, and lavender.

I have not seen any lady bugs this year, but I've had a lot of little wasps on my roses so maybe they hogged all the food. :hu

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No ladybugs, @Lavender2 ?!

They are elsewhere in the garden but in nowhere near the numbers. If there were aphids on those strawflowers, they were devoured!

It's like this every year. I wish that they had as much interest in the cabbage ... Maybe proximity has importance. Ladybugs don't seem to be the best flyers.

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No ladybugs, @Lavender2 ?!

They are elsewhere in the garden but in nowhere near the numbers. If there were aphids on those strawflowers, they were devoured!

It's like this every year. I wish that they had as much interest in the cabbage ... Maybe proximity has importance. Ladybugs don't seem to be the best flyers.

Steve
Haven't seen a one. No sign of aphids either so maybe they have moved to find food. I don't recall ever having an abundance of ladybugs but I usually don't have a problem with aphids either.

Cabbage aphids are nasty buggers. They get in the tight leaves where predators can't get them, and they multiply fast, sometimes before the beneficials arrive. I wonder if it would help to keep early plants sprayed with a soap spray - can you use that on cabbage?

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if it would help to keep early plants sprayed with a soap spray - can you use that on cabbage?

Sure can! Then you can scrub with it in the shower too! :thumbsup It's the green loofa!

sorry, I just really couldn't control myself.......I am such a blabberfingers!

Latest posts