Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well...I finally got my blanket of snow on the garden I've been wanting. :weee :woot That will make for good things for the garden later on, good composting and good minerals added.

And my worms are mating!!! :ya Hope they make many, many, many babies before spring. The worm bin seems to be doing very well at just the right humidity and temps for good worm activity and feeding.

The snow depth on the ground is about 18 in. right now and rising, which makes for hard walking but it's a perfect, perfect snow. The ski lodges in my state are rejoicing right now, I'm sure, as this is perfect snow for skiing. Wet enough to pack, fine enough for easy glide.

The dogs are wrestling and doing what dogs do to celebrate a new snow and it never gets old for me to watch that much joy. As usual, the old BC/Lab dog is winning on speed and stamina, while the heavier, taller 6 mo. old Anatolian/GP/Maremma mix wins on sheer bulk...when he can catch the old dog. :gig Jake lets him win to keep him playing the game. Jake has some serious muscle and speed for a 10 yr old dog. Outdoors livin', it does a body good! :D

They both shared a big ol deer liver this morning along with regular dog food...lots of iron and Vit. K...yum. :sick

The chickens were trying to fly over the snow to come down to greet me...seeing a huge White Rock rooster and hen flying that high is very funny to watch. I was impressed with the loft they were able to obtain! :th :clap

Everyone is fed, snow knocked off of animal housing where needed to let in light and left on for insulation where not. The coop is cozy with a deep leaf pack and I am getting the full load of manure needed there right now, which tickles me pink...probably the only person with chickens who is WANTING their chickens to poop a lot in the coop. :D My birds free range and the only manure I usually get to keep is nightly deposits, so all this snow confinement is a bonus for me.

Just think of all that lovely, lovely compost to be coming out of that coop come spring!!! :celebrate Fully composted and ready for garden application.

Coop smells fresh all the way through this process....you can't beat that.

Hope you all are warm, safe and planning for spring, 'cause it's not far off and is roaring upon us like a freight train. I need to commit to making seed tapes today...really. :oops:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I checked under my leaves and only saw a worm here and there. No where near as many as you Bee. :( I couldn't believe that the wood chips were already pretty much composted. Seems like that was awfully quick.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You live where it's a bit warmer, so I imagine the composting is pretty quick there. I'm surprised you don't have more worms going on, considering your climate. You could always order a batch of worms and turn 'em loose to make babies. :) That's what I did, so in addition to the worm action I already have out there, I'll have even more compost buddies to turn loose out there in the spring.

It might just be a bonus that you don't have too many worms....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few pics of the day. This snow is great for my garden and orchard, so I'm thanking God for it today. Should be even prettier tomorrow when the sun is making diamonds of the snow and the sky will be so blue it hurts my eyes. Right now the full moon is coming over the trees and it's just a stunning sight out there. Wish I had a good enough camera and the know how to get that picture.

LL

Garden dreaming....

LL

Cold but cushy. Just waiting for us to sit down in the spring and watch life come back to the land.

LL

Pumpkin frosting

LL

Ghost orchard

LL

Had this big polar bear stalking me all day...you can see the blood on his muzzle from his most recent "kill"~deer liver.

LL

It's my little hoop coop...you don't know what I got!

LL

...now you do...I've got some dirty lookin' chickens. :D Coop life is a lot more dirty than free range life, so now they look like all the commoners instead of the royalty they truly are.

LL

LL

LL

Bluebird house

LL

Our little cabin in the woods.

Can't wait to see how pretty it will be tomorrow! :celebrate

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every one of your pictures is a beauty Bee. Your chickens are great snow waders, mine will peek out the pop door until I shovel them a path to the water and a trail around the perimeter of their pen.
Ben is getting so big and handsome!
I especially like the trees with the sun setting. :)
I saw that big old moon last night, coming up in a clear sky after a cloudy drizzly day.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you! I had to let his collar out two inches in the past month or so, that's how fast he's growing. I hope he finishes out pretty big.

The temps have dropped to 10* and that moon is crystal clear. Tomorrow will be a stunning day! Can't wait.

Spring is right around the corner, folks!!! :celebrate

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I KNEW I should have put that round door on it! :he :D

I think it looks like a hobbit house too, which kind of tickles my fancy.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful snow pictures Bee! Glad the worms are doing so good for you, it will really pay off come spring!

We got a trailer load of pine straw and leaves this afternoon. Our DSIL's neighbor needed a place to dump his yard cleaning efforts and we happily accepted his leaves. What could be better than free, delivered, AND unloaded? :lol:

Latest posts