Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee ... Here in the PNW where moss grows EVERYWHERE ( lawns, trees, roofs, etc. ) so to control moss we use iron sulfate. All of the big box stores, grocery stores, etc. stock " Moss out " where the active ingrediant is iron sulfate and they charge an arm and a leg for it. However, If you go to the gardening department and buy the fertilizer iron sulfate, from 1/2 - 1/3 the price. Really WORKS great ! :thumbsup

Wonder if the iron oxide in the ashes works like the iron sulfate? It sure is remarkable to see the ring of lush grass around the fire pit...and no where else on that whole area of the lawn.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok Bee, I won't worry about my leaves not decomposing by springtime. I wasn't sure if they had to be. There is horse manure and wood chips underneath.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally in winter here now, with high winds and cold temps, gusting snow...nothing sticking much, though.

Got a package of red wigglers the other day and will be setting them up in a tote inside, breeding more of the little boogers until I can release them into the huge compost project in my garden.

I've raised worms before, so nothing new for me, but I'm hoping the worms will be a more sustainable addition to the garden than adding manure to aid in composting.

Made more onion seed tape this weekend and I think I've reached the number I want to have on tapes. Now to move on to lettuces...

Gratifying to see deep, rich green showing up at the edges of all places wearing leaves and wood chips and also streaks of the same deep green in areas that show run off from the garden. No doubt in my mind now that the composting material is now providing a nutrient drench to the soils underneath and adjacent to the garden and orchard.

Not bad at all. :woot Can't wait to plant into that this spring.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to make time to work on some seed tapes this week too. :) Dreamin' of spring! The snow really flew today. We had white-out conditions for a bit there, but it never amounted to much accumulation.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The pigs are rooting up my garden. They have a March 18 date with the butcher. Then I will smooth out the moon craters and re-mulch. Waiting on spring too!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very cold here too! Hoping this cold snap will serve to kill some measure of garden pests and send the trees into dormancy.

Great for ash production, so more to place on the orchard. :thumbsup Supposed to get 4* by Sunday but supposed to warm up a little after that.

Found a pile or two of wood chips I may be able to scavenge, just need to call the property owners and ask. By the time I pass that way again it should be warm enough to scoop them.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been dreaming about honeybees. Seems strange that the garden forum doesn't include a forum about honeybees or just pollinators in general.

Latest posts