Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
More farm updates.

Bennett and his brother have a bulldozer man coming………maybe sorta kinda halfway for the last month. That’s redneck for, “he’ll be here when he gets here. Suited me just fine. I wanted to get the T-posts out of the front fence row, then have Mr. Bulldozer obliterate the fence row.

A few weeks ago, I sauntered up to the front on my 23 HP tractor, if a tractor saunters….. I cut clips off the posts I could get to. I chained on the front end bucket, chained the post and raised the bucket. It stopped. I lowered the bucket and raised it fast. It stopped. I tried several more times. Uhhhh…….. Nope. Not happening.

Undaunted I tried several more T-posts. Nope. Bennett came by saw the problem and went home for his tractor. Oh yeah! It yanked them right up. I did the grunt work, he flexed his fingers on the controls. The brush, briars and trees got so thick we couldn’t get to the posts. Plus the week before he bent the front cylinders and they were spurting hydraulic oil, so we quit.

A couple of weeks ago, Bennett and Peggy came over. He chainsawed the brush and I crawled through the briars to cut the clips on the posts. His chainsaw quit on him. This fence is whupping us! Got some more posts to cut the clips off of, when we can saw our way to them. He wants the barbed wire, it’s in good shape. I’m real happy for him to have it, because he’s willing to pull the T- posts out so he can pull the wire.

Bulldozer man didn’t show up, the place he was working on, that job got extended a few weeks.
Bennett’s tractor is still in the hospital, waiting on parts. It won’t get well until after the first of the year.

Chase came one day last week and we pulled T-posts. We used my chain and a handy T-post puller plate. Chain link goes in the slot. Other end of chain is wrapped and hooked around the bucket. Drop the triangle shaped hole over the T-Post, flat side where it will catch on the nubs and tractor pulls it out.

IMG_5386.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

In places where the brush was really thick, Chase drove into the brush. I climbed into the bucket, climbed out of the bucket, chained the T-post, climbed in the bucket and back out of the bucket. Backed up for clearance and Chase pulled out the post. I slipped the plate off the post, tossed post up by the tree line. On some of the posts, I held the end of the chain while he drove to the next post. The rest, I tossed chain in the bucket and got out of the way.

IMG_5384.jpeg

We pulled 44 T-posts. Bennett and I pulled 16 before he had to quit. So 60 T-posts have been saved. Had to leave a half dozen, tree roots had grown into the posts. Not even Chase’s 85 HP tractor could pull them out, it raised his back wheels off the ground!

These are 6 1/2 foot T-posts, currently $6 each. That’s $360, not a bad days work. I loaded them in the bucket of my little tractor, with my sidekick Carson, we took them and put them up.

IMG_5385.jpeg

Bennett tried to pull the barbed wire out. The trees, brush and vines are so thick, that the wire snapped and just wouldn’t come out. There is no salvaging the barbed wire.

Bulldozer man was finally coming this way and his trailer had a blow out. Bennett and Peggy are gone for the Thanksgiving holiday so bulldozer has been rescheduled for next week.

Bennett and Peggy had 68 tons of agricultural lime delivered and spread. I got 8 tons put on my front field. I wish I could have had the whole place done, but keeping my money for the bulldozer.

That catches up to what’s been happening on the farm.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
And it’s raining. I’m looking to see if the sheep have adequate cover. One pen has a tarp I put up for shade this summer, I already have the materials I salvaged from those chicken coops to replace it with. The other pen has too many ewes in it, most have been bred. I’ll sort out a few and try to balance out shelter.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
how is the new ram working out?
Rocky is in a pen with Ringo 2.0 they are both doing good. I was going to give each young ram a couple of ewes, but have no way of separating them at this time. So Cooper is with 14 ewes, most of them bred now. The next batch of young ewes will be ready in March and I’ll fix up both young rams then. I’ll get fence up over the winter so that each ram can be separated with his own ewes.

Bulldozer, clean fence row, burn huge pile in a winrow, put up new fence. Cold, rain, mud, occasional 20 degrees, yeah, it’ll be fun.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Feeding sheep. There are 7 pregnant ladies in this group. Plus some young ewes that aren’t ready for a boyfriend.

This is an every day thing.

The Piranhas.

IMG_5400.jpeg

In an effort to spread out the feed so everyone can eat, I have two small tubs that I put feed in. It MUST be BETTER than what’s in the feed bunk, so they run to get there first. In the nanosecond it takes for me to pour feed, they stick their greedy heads in the way so feed splatters everywhere but in the pan. Notice the spilled feed.

IMG_5381.jpeg

Then I move to the other pan and they run to that one too.

IMG_5380.jpeg

Then one sweet ewe who doesn’t fight for a bite, You got anything for me?

IMG_5382.jpeg

Meanwhile back at the feed bunk……….

IMG_5379.jpeg

Latest posts