Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee i hope that you get rain soon. We were in drought last year. 6 giant oaks around the house died and had to be taken down. Now the house is bombarded by heat.

I got almost a half inch today. I ran out to check before it evaporated away in the heat.

Must be a relief after all that heat.
The heat didn’t go anywhere, it’s still here. :lol: Now it’s steamy heat.

Omg. @baymule with power tools. 🙀 everyone stand back. 🤣🤣
Yeah! Stand back and ADMIRE!!! :p

That's a lotta power in that box! Be careful lady!
Before or after I fall off the roof? :gigI went shingle shopping yesterday, I pick them up tomorrow.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had a great morning! Neighbor Chase came over to help me tag some older lambs and wean 2 rams. He carried them across the driveway while I opened and closed gates. Carson is back to work guarding lambs.

Before we got started, I saw that Butterfly was in labor. Daughter of Frimplepants and Ringo, bred to Cooper. Chase’s daughter was put on lamb watch while we worked the sheep. 3 needed worming, a couple needed worming for tapeworms and we tagged. Then we sat in the lot waiting on birth. This is Butterfly’s first, she was up, down, up, down and finally went in the small pallet shelter with toes and nose sticking out. I thought she might need a little tug, but she got down to business and birth happened. Chase and his daughter got to watch it all, I was delighted his daughter was there and so was he. The lamb kept trying to suck between the front legs, got tired and laid down. I scooted in, picked up the lamb and put it in position. Sucking noises and tail going like an airplane propeller! I lifted the tail…….. it’s a girl!

IMG_4535.jpeg

Then we sat in the holding pen with the ewes and they came up for petting. I had the girl sit on the ground with me and be patient. The ewes sniffed her and she got to pet them. One ewe liked it, pawing her leg for more. This made the girl laugh, it became a game. Scratch ewe, stop. Ewe paws leg, start scratching again. I pointed out the 2 older ewes, Eve and Lucy that I’m giving to them, and Frimplepants too.

Enjoyable morning. We got all lambs tagged, wormed those that needed it, weaned 2 lambs and best of all, a young girl got to witness birth and pet lots of sheep.

And there’s another ewe for the flock, that makes 31!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I checked air in truck tires, aired them up, hitched flatbed trailer, aired tires. Headed out to go get roof shingles. Was almost at the end of the driveway and realized I forgot the diesel cans. Stopped truck, walked back to get them.

Passing sheep pen, “Oh my goodness! Tiny is in labor!”

I got the diesel cans, put them in the truck and walked back. In a few minutes, Tiny had a lamb. Then another! Twin rams! Both are white with brown spots on their neck.

70907072697__AE88B8CF-EA14-4474-B2BE-9665F3E8D846.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tore roof off yesterday, had some men from church that came to help. Heat was brutal. One man isn’t used to working outside and at one point I sent him in the house under the AC. Went through a lot of water and lemonade. All of us soaking wet and hot. Got shingles off, men did most of that. I had a tarp to put shingles on, drag across roof and toss in the roll off box. Once the men saw that, they took over. LOL I pulled nails and cleaned the roof. It was so hot that we had to quit around 1:30. We covered the roof with tarps. Caught big tarps on sale at Harbor Freight. Have rotten decking on front and back edge. I’ll buy plywood this week and be ready for next Saturday. Can’t go any further until it gets replaced. I’ll line up a neighbor with big tractor to lift it up to the roof.

I guessed I’m in pretty good shape. I went up and down the ladder, bent over pulling nails and cleaning the decking. Knee is great, doesn’t hurt. Back is a little sore, but not bad. I lost 3 pounds yesterday, drank water and lemonade all day and last night. Got 1.8 pounds back by this morning. Water poured out of us faster than we could take it back in. We took breaks on back porch in shade, catching an occasional breeze. Heat was brutal, we were exhausted.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tore roof off yesterday, had some men from church that came to help. Heat was brutal. One man isn’t used to working outside and at one point I sent him in the house under the AC. Went through a lot of water and lemonade. All of us soaking wet and hot. Got shingles off, men did most of that. I had a tarp to put shingles on, drag across roof and toss in the roll off box. Once the men saw that, they took over. LOL I pulled nails and cleaned the roof. It was so hot that we had to quit around 1:30. We covered the roof with tarps. Caught big tarps on sale at Harbor Freight. Have rotten decking on front and back edge. I’ll buy plywood this week and be ready for next Saturday. Can’t go any further until it gets replaced. I’ll line up a neighbor with big tractor to lift it up to the roof.

since you are going to be doing new decking perhaps there is some additional insulation layer you can add to reduce your heat gain from the roofing? i'm not sure how well insulated your roof might already be, but just a consideration that came to mind. oh, and of course, lighter colored shingles. :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
That heat has to be hard on the animals too. :(

Nowhere near as hot here - but then, I'm not used to the heat AT ALL, so a muggy upper 80's-90F. felt like 100+. Been out in the gardens most days from about noon to sunset, trying to get the last few things planted, watering to keep things alive, and getting trellises up where needed.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

I guessed I’m in pretty good shape. I went up and down the ladder, bent over pulling nails and cleaning the decking. Knee is great, doesn’t hurt. Back is a little sore, but not bad. I lost 3 pounds yesterday, drank water and lemonade all day and last night. Got 1.8 pounds back by this morning. Water poured out of us faster than we could take it back in. We took breaks on back porch in shade, catching an occasional breeze. Heat was brutal, we were exhausted.
I'm glad you got some helpers! Working outside in the heat rough. I hope it all gets done quickly and rain holds off until it's finished.