BAYMULE FINALLY HAS SHEEP!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I even knew what hair sheep were until about 1 year ago.

Now, I think it's an excellent idea :).
5star.gif

Of course, I may have to change my mind as circumstances change. That kind of change is painful for olde people so I'm counting on you Bay' not to put me thru that :).

Congratulations and Best Wishes,
Steve
CowboySmileyClaps-1.gif

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll. My dreams are coming true. I walked outside last night to check on them. They were bedded down on the inside fence next to the driveway. This morning the first thing i did was to look out to see my girls. They don't know it yet, but they will be spoiled here. They are in a small pasture with lots of trees, several very large cedars. I figure at some point that I will have to put protective fencing around them, we'll see. As we go along, we'll get more cleared out for them. I do have another small pasture that is fenced, so I can rotate them. We have more fencing to do, it will just take awhile. The horses are on approximately 2 1/2 acres and have stomped down a lot of the briars and brush. When we get more fencing up, we'll move the horses and let the sheep in the pasture the horses are in now to do some more clean up.

My goal is to custom grow for customers that want lamb raised as organically as possible. From the interest that I have already found, I think my only problem will be that I can't meet demand. That will be a nice problem to have. People that want lamb for meat don't care about papers, can't eat them anyway. :gig I love the way Dorpers go from a white, black headed sheep to all kinds of splotchy colors as a cross bred. What fun!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, cross breeding like that makes it fun to see what comes out. That's one reason I like hatching my mutt chickens. It can be like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get. So maybe that's the next generation of names since they are food anyway. Name them after chocolates.

Work on getting that dog to adopt them. Coyotes may be a real problem soon. That's one disaster you don't want. Electric fencing is another option.

Congratulations. You've increased your workload some more, but once you get it set up, probably not that much for most of the year

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I walked Paris in the sheep pasture again today. We were going to start on a hoop shelter for them, but it rained and is going to rain tomorrow. Paris is scared of thunder, lightening and rain. So we have to have shelter before we can move her in with the sheep. We will have to wait until Thursday to get started on the shelter. We do have coyotes here and I am nervous with the sheep not having a protector. So the sooner I can get shelter for them and Paris, the better.

@ninnymary I have had cows, I like cows, but I don't want them now. We only have 8 acres and that's not much for cows. Plus I have lost my desire to wrangle cattle. I wanted small livestock and after studying the pros and cons, I settled on hair sheep. I like lamb.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, isn't there a mini cow? Are you planning on having goats? Lets see so far you have chickens, sheep, pigs, and dogs. Hope I didn't leave any one out. Don't you want to make your own butter and cheese? ;)

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, isn't there a mini cow? Are you planning on having goats? Lets see so far you have chickens, sheep, pigs, and dogs. Hope I didn't leave any one out. Don't you want to make your own butter and cheese? ;)

Mary
You left out the horses. I can buy raw milk at the only registered Guernsey dairy in Texas. I just don't think I could be committed to milking every day.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You left out the horses. I can buy raw milk at the only registered Guernsey dairy in Texas. I just don't think I could be committed to milking every day.
Perhaps not, but you could be committed for choosing to be milking every day. Of course, cows are not the only milk-able farm animal choice.

Latest posts