Bees to fruit trees

kevs-chickadees

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello, I was reading some of the ways of attracting bees to the garden area and was wondering if it work for the tree blossoms as well? My early season peach tree had bees all over it but now that all those blossoms are gone the bees have moved on.:( Any ideas? Thanks

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would think they will be attracted to anything seasonal in bloom. You could plant white clover in the lawn, and any kind of blooming shrubs and annuals. Bees just swarm over my Russian sage when it is blooming. And there are lots of pollinators out there besides honey bees.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like your trees are all set! The bees will be back, just as soon as something else is blooming. They love borage, and oregano here.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The honey bees will love the fruit trees, clovers, maple trees, locust trees, poplars, oregano for sure, many flowers and other trees, etc. Different bees pollinate different plants based on shape and form of the flowers mostly. It takes sweat bees, ants, and all forms of bees to keep us going for plant fertilization. Variety is the key because things are in bloom at different times. Honey bees main foods are gone by May/June until fall and then the goldenrod and other fall plants create another honey flow when weather cooperates. So to attract honey bees plant variety for the entire blooming season.

kevs-chickadees

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone! I guess I should have planned for this earlier, I was just hoping last year was a fluke. I've got the blossoms opening on pear, plum, apricot, and a few on a apple tree, just never see any activity and they eventually fall off. Self fertile varieties too. I can't really plant anything due to the chickens tearing it all up, maybe hanging baskets of certain flowers from the tree branches? I asked the employees at one of the local "big box stores" and their reply was to shake the branches.:lol: Imagine how accurate the plumbing info is they give out.;)

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
kevs-chickadees said:
I asked the employees at one of the local "big box stores" and their reply was to shake the branches.:lol: Imagine how accurate the plumbing info is they give out.;)
I guess someone heard it worked for tomatoes, and therefore must on everything else. :)

I was at a big-box hardware store and asked someone to help me locate a coping saw. He needed to find a friend, who needed to find a friend, who finally pointed me at the right general department and then they left me to my own devices. I don't even want to ask about plumbing stuff. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
ANY flower that attracts bees, butterflies, or humming birds close to your vegetables will keep the pollinators in your garden long enough to do their job. I've heard that small-flowering plants and low growing like Allysium helps, but I started planting flowers in my vegetable gardens 2 years ago. I get LOTS of fruit, despite my current bug problem.
Btw, if you get the right kind of marigolds you can save LITERALLY thousands of seeds for the next season. I raided only 3 marigolds after the frosts last Fall, and filled an empty (cleaned out, of course!) plastic Parmesiana cheese container with the seeds. I think my neighbors are gonna think I'm selling marigolds this year, with all that will be flowering in 2012!

kevs-chickadees

Leafing Out
Reaction score
joz said:
kevs-chickadees said:
I asked the employees at one of the local "big box stores" and their reply was to shake the branches.:lol: Imagine how accurate the plumbing info is they give out.;)
I guess someone heard it worked for tomatoes, and therefore must on everything else. :)

I was at a big-box hardware store and asked someone to help me locate a coping saw. He needed to find a friend, who needed to find a friend, who finally pointed me at the right general department and then they left me to my own devices. I don't even want to ask about plumbing stuff. :)
Ha ha to funny! I often roam the plumbing isles and listen to the advice that is given and then usually wait till the employee leaves and give the correct advice. Sometimes I do it in front of the employee, need to take pictures of their faces sometime, priceless!

So i did the flowers in a basket to hang from the branches but it's so windy today I think all the bees took the day off.:lol: I can't remember if I asked this ? on this forum or not so if I'm repeating sorry. Anyone know why my very low chill hour apple tree (150) doesn't loose all it's leaves in the winter and therefor come spring time I don't get very many new branches or blossoms?

bearmanz400

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I find that Ligustrum produces all the pollinators you could ever desire when they are in flower