best simple grow light setup?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That should be plenty of light. I use 2 lamps over each shelf that size.

THANX RICH

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a 250 watt metal halide that I used on my reef tank that I disassembled a few months ago. Would that be too much light/heat?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LVVCHAP said:
I made this a few years ago - works well for me
I tried this last year and it worked great. Got it back together this year with onions and cucumber and garlic right now. Getting ready to start brocoli and flowers.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That wire shelf and shop light set up is exactly what I use. I broke mine down into two shelves though, since I'm way to short to manage it if it was at it's full height. I have two shop lights per level

230_img_2097.jpg

I keep the plants about 1 inch below the lights
230_tomato.jpg

And you can grow lettuce no problem:
230_lettuice2.jpg

Just that I find the lettuce isn't as crispy when grown in non windy gentle indoor temps vs in the dirt outside.

Everything is on a 14 hr day light cycle

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It worked. :)

110221_4546 by wsmoak, on Flickr

I also find that the lettuce isn't very crisp, but it's working okay as baby greens. I have a fan on them, but it still gets pretty warm under the lights, and I'm sure that's not helping matters. I haven't tried to grow one all the way into a full head yet.

For the next flat I painstakingly set out individual seeds in a grid pattern, and I think I just learned that you need to plant far more lettuce seeds than you expect to see germinate. Less than half of them came up.

I also have tomato plants, the spinach and broccoli from the 'sideways seedlings' thread, basil, catnip, my shelves are full!

-Wendy

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
silkiechicken said:
What containers are you using there, and how many lettuce plants in each one?

-Wendy
It was a low budget experiment...

Those containers are 1 gallon milk jugs with their tops cut off. LOL

I think I just sprinkled seeds in and then thinned to 4-5 plants somewhat evenly spaced. I haven't tried it again yet b/c the indoor grown leaves just didn't have much body to them. They were kind of thin and soft vs thick and crispy.