Bird Sightings 2014 - 2015

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I LOVE the house wren. Such a big voice for a tiny critter. He was not around last summer. But is back and checking out the house this week. :)

I just adore those little guys too. So perky and full of personality!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Attempting to give my back a rest from abuse the past couple of days, the activity in the yard has helped!

These little guys are so fun, they were so busy hopping around gathering insects, at times even following me... I think I was flushing out their treats.
Picture 10517 1.jpg

Picture 10664 1.jpg

Picture 10516 2.jpg

I asked one to show me his rump :D ... so I have ID'd them as the Yellow-rumped Warbler - Myrtle because of the white throat. I wish they would stay, but I think I am a bit south of their breeding area.
They also enjoyed the suet and sunflower seeds ...

Picture 10650 1.jpg

And a cute little Yellow Warbler...
Picture 10521 1.jpg

Picture 10522.jpg

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Then I caught a catbird playing in the hammock ... I guess they are called Gray Catbird.

Picture 10669 1.jpg

Picture 10662.jpg

AND one of my favorites! ... Rose-breasted Grosbeak...

Picture 10675 1.jpg

Picture 10498 1.jpg

The second photo shows 2 pair - look close and you'll see the two females. Not the greatest photo, I took it from the porch so I wouldn't disturb them. But sometimes these guys get so used to me being in the yard they will sit very close while I fill the bird bath and feeders. :cool:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are great bird shots Lavender!
We get Evening Grosbeaks every year. I don't know where they go from here, but they come in a huge flock, sometimes at least 20, eat ravenously at the feeders
( I have to fill them every day when the EG come), stay for a week or so then leave en masse. But they're beautiful birds so I don't mind the enormous dent they make in the seed supply.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is the Catbird in my birdbath a day or two ago but did not stay for a photo op! Shy I guess. :oops:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely pics, @Lavender2 ! Cheerful little spots of sunshine, aren't they? I've never seen a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, but we are supposed to have them around here.

@ninnymary , that is really a bummer! The sparrows can be cute when they are not bothering other birds. They are an invasive, non-native species from Europe that have an affinity for human buildings and structures, so they are very happy to dwell alongside you. Unfortunately, most of the songbirds require woodlands or open fields for their habitat.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, we do see a couple of robins and bluejays. Of course the crows are always around. But who wants crows and sparrows?

Mary

Latest posts