Bird Sightings 2014 - 2015

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DigitS' They're called Bohemian Waxwings because of their nomadic lifestyle. They're are a lot of ethnic groups in that part of Europe that lead similar lifestyles. :)

We have Cooper's hawks here and they don't bother our birds for most of the year (plenty of songbirds and rabbits for them to go after). We've only had them trying to get at the smaller birds - that was before we got geese/goats, they're intimidated by the larger animals.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a small female wild turkey just across the road from my house this morning. Although the woods are full of them here, it was an unusual spot to see one. A car drove by and she didn't even take off.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really nice shots of those waxwing babies Heather! I love waxwings!
I used to love them. Then I found them in huge flocks eating all MY sweet cherries and well before they were ripe enough for me to use. Now I dislike cedar waxwings from May through July.

The first time we ever saw cedar waxwings -- long before the cherry trees were planted -- a flock stopped at our pond/waterfall for drinks and baths. Spouse didn't know what they were and I was at work. He rushed out when I returned to let me know a flock of Pterodactyls had been at the pond.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Saw some birds on my recent trip to Yellowstone, here's a sampling!

Darn it! Snuck up on this immature Bald Eagle, and when I came over the knoll I realized I WAS WAY TOO CLOSE!
IMG_3653.JPG

American Pipit - this was a new-to-me bird, although I suspect I've seen them numerous times I've never gotten their ID ;)
IMG_3669.JPG

American Robin in some juniper bushes outside Yellowstone.
IMG_3679.JPG

Clark's Nutcracker in Yellowstone.
IMG_3889.JPG

Sandhill cranes flying over my campsite at sunset on the Yellowstone River back to their roost.
sandhill cranes 2.JPG

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Finally got some time to go through my Utah photos and post my bird pics, I got some DREAM shots of a Snowy Egret that I think I'm going to have to have printed on canvas and hang on the wall!!

Snowy Egret, Willard Bay State Park, Utah
snowy egret 1 (small).JPG

snowy egret 2 (small).JPG

White faced ibis, Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, Utah.
white faced ibis (small).JPG

California Quail, Willard Bay State Park, Utah
IMG_4038.JPG

Avocets, Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, Utah
IMG_4077.JPG

Raven, Kodachrome Basin State Park, Utah
IMG_4289.JPG

Western Scrub Jay, Kodachrome Basin State Park, Utah
IMG_4295.JPG

Pelicans, Palisades Reservoir, Utah
pelicans.JPG

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
FABULOUS Bird photography. You could inter some of them to National wildlife photography contests.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not sure what was going on, but this weekend there were at least a dozen Eastern bluebirds in my yard, swooping around and making a racket! Anyone know what they might have been up to?

Latest posts