Bird Sightings 2014 - 2015

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great pictures! I think that there's a Paradise in Utah too.

I've got a Canon Powershot SX160. One of the best purchases I've made, except for seeds and other garden-related stuff of course. ;)

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Some quick pictures that I took earlier. I think that it's a Cooper's Hawk A.K.A "Chicken Hawk." Spotted 3/21/14. Front view:

Bird Spottings 2014-2015 008.JPG

Back View:
Bird Spottings 2014-2015 011.JPG

Sorry, a little hard to see.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ah cool Buckabucka! Looks like you have more megapixels, and I have more zoom. You have a touchscreen (cool) fixed LCD, mine is not touchscreen but it articulates. The Canon also has the ability to shoot in RAW, I don't know if I'll use this - may be a bit advanced for what I need, but maybe I'll play around with it and see if I like it.

Does yours have the ability to wirelessly transfer photos? I think that's the one thing I wish this Canon had. I can buy a memory card that does this: Eye-fi cards? They're a bit spendy, so I haven't gotten one yet. Maybe down the road when I upgrade my ipad.

I can't transfer wirelessly. At the time, it was intentional because I read about how much battery it eats up. My old camera had rechargeable batteries and it was always dead. It is a bit of a pain, since I put them on the ancient computer and then email photos I want available to my IPad, but this camera is so much better than my old one and I'm enjoying it.

I can take slow-motion movies. Fun to take a short clip of the chickens running for scratch!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser - don't ya hate when the lighting doesn't cooperate. From what I can see it does look like a Cooper's Hawk. I got a pretty good shot of one last year on April 13, they summer here. A Red-shouldered Hawk showed up in Feb. last year, but no sign of them yet. I usually hear the crows throwing a tantrum when the hawks are around.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can't transfer wirelessly. At the time, it was intentional because I read about how much battery it eats up. My old camera had rechargeable batteries and it was always dead. It is a bit of a pain, since I put them on the ancient computer and then email photos I want available to my IPad, but this camera is so much better than my old one and I'm enjoying it.

I can take slow-motion movies. Fun to take a short clip of the chickens running for scratch!

Haha, i have that setting, cant wait to try it out! And "Toy Camera" mode sounds fun...i should really get off my butt and clean the house so i can go out and play with the camera!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SeedO, i also would say definitely a Coopers Hawk. have you done any photo editing before? I'm just starting to play around with it. You know that pic of the western bluebird i posted? The original was very much like your pic - backlit, so difficult to see color or detail, and most importantly you couldnt even see his eye. So i played around with it in a basic photo editor, took the Shadow bar and drug it way over to "lighten up" the shadow to be able to see detail. A few other minor tweaks too. But you might be able to play around with yours and get a really nice pic!

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My camera has a setting for backlit subjects. I've only tried it a couple times, but it worked pretty good. When I took the photo of this rooster, I tried it both ways, and ended up deleting the photo that didn't use the backlit function, as he was totally dark. Sorry the photo is sideways. Usually they show up upsidedown, so I suppose this is an improvement.
image.jpg

Latest posts