Call 1-800-COM-PLAIN

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My house was empty anywhere from 10 to 15 years depending on who you asked. Kids broke into and vandized house even setting it on fire. Lot of work and a lot of money to bring the house back. Worth all I had to do, sure it seems overwelling now, think long term!!!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule OGM, OMG,OMG If I had the time I would pull the camper down, set up in the yard and sit out front with my camera and pea shooter! :eek: At this rate you will end up with a gutted shell. Is there no way to protect it? Motion lights to go on when they get close. So they think someone is home. Toys in the yard. Radio left on. Yes it would help if they'd take it off the site. Grrr. I feel your pain.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
HUD rules. We can't do ANYTHING until it is ours. And they won't do anything, except to send an inspector out once a week or so to check on it. Nothing can be done. Nada. We are not supposed to even be on the property unless accompanied by the realtor. Somebody needs to tell the thieves that!

Can't turn on the power, the first wave of thieves cut out pieces of wire under the house and wrecked the breaker box. Can't turn it on anyway, it's not ours yet. :he

NYBOY, you bought a destroyed house? Kudos to you for bringing it back to life!

Edited to change Mary to NYBOY! I corrected it to Nyboy before I posted, but it went back to Mary.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, are you talking about me? If so, no mine wasn't destroyed. It needed a new roof and fence when we bought it. We have since painted the outside twice, remodeled the kitchen twice, put in 17 new windows and 8 stained glass ones, hardwood floors, deck, stairs, and other stuff.

Mary

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cripes Baymule! If the place was closer you could show up at random times to check for intruders (regardless of the ridiculous HUD rules), but with it so far away you're kinda stuck. Oi, that really sucks.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wish I could come up with a solution for your problem! Hire a HS student to camp out within view of the new place?

We had a mansion sit vacant for many years. When it was finally purchased, they found that much of the interior had been not vandalized, but stolen. Even the curved bannister for the stairway.

Once rehab was begun, people in the community kept dropping by with parts and pieces of the house they 'took to preserve them from vandals'. Chandeliers, door knobs, even the bannister was returned.

Latest posts