Can someone help me cook a beet?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to try this recipe here:

http://www.grit.com/food/recipes/beetroot-and-raspberry-chocolate-cake.aspx#axzz3HJisnOhN

But I'll confess to you...I've never even seen a beat before buying it at the store, and even then I had to compare what I bought to google images in order to be certain(ish) what I bought was, in fact, a beet.

The instructions say to "cook and grate" them. How do you cook them?? Do you bake? Boil? Steam? Roast? Do they need to be peeled? Help!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do them one of two ways. You need to leave the root tip on and leave at least 1" of the stems still attached. Don't peel them because they will bleed out all of their color (and that's why the root and stem pieces are left on as well.) You can wash them lightly to remove most of the dirt, but don't scrub. Then you can put them in a pot of water high enough to cover them, bring to a boil, then simmer until they are fork tender. Or you can slow roast them in the oven at 350 and cover the dish with foil, just stick them in the dish as they are plain, also until fork tender. Let them cool a little bit, then run them under cold water and the skins will slip right off. I luv beets. :)

ETA: That cake sounds AMAZING! I will have to try that.

Last edited:

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
journey11 told you how i cook them too. just make sure you don't cut off the root tail and leave enough top so they don't bleed and bake or boil either way they will be fine. and yes let us know how the cake turns out

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Feed the beet skins to your chickens. It will darken the yolks quite a bit. But when you see them pooping blood the next day, don't worry. It's not really blood.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I learned several things very quickly about beets.

1. The term "beet red" has an origin.

2. My husband is horrified by the very idea of beets.

3. They make complete sense in a cake. They taste like sweet spinach.

Cake is in the oven. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now, you will have to grow them in your garden, @AMKuska !

Then, thin them as early as you can imagine eating the plants. They will need thinning. Just be sure to get a big packet of seed so you will have lots.

Up to marble-size roots and including stems and leaves, those are about my favorite veggies!

Bigger is okay ... they aren't sugar beets if they are red but they are sure sweet.

Steve

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I discovered how incredibly easy it is to make sugar from sugar beets. Thinly slice the beets (to make extraction of the juice easier) and cover with water. Cook until the beets are very tender. Strain and reserve the liquid (squeeze it to get every last drop out). Cook down the juice to about 1/3 the volume and then pour it into a clean baking pan. When it cools and crystallizes, harvest the crystals and grind them to the consistency you prefer.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@britesea - I wonder if you could also run them through the juicer? That sounds like a cool science experiment we will have to try. :)

@AMKuska - That cake would sure beat one of those microwave mug cakes for satisfying a late night chocolate craving. You totally have me craving chocolate cake now. I'll have to see if I can fit some baking into my busy schedule today. Oddly enough, pulling up the last of the beets is on my to-do list. ;)

Latest posts