Can someone help me cook a beet?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You really should grow beets. They are easy, peasy and not fussy. You can stick them in the fridge and forget about them for a good month and then deal with them. If you hate the pink stain, you can grow the orange ones.
(Golden (55 days). These unusual carrot-colored roots take some getting used to, but they taste exactly like the red beets, and they don't "bleed.")
I am even harvesting this week, and we've had 3 inches of snow!!
Here is how I handle them:
1) dig out (if the ground is hard, get your spade below them, otherwise just pull out bc 1/2 of the beet sticks out of the ground, like onions)
2) pull the tops (some folks love the tops, but my chickens "love" them and I don't, so they get the tops)
3) wash off the dirt
4) boil them on the stove
It takes about 1/2 hour at a full boil. Test with a knife. If it goes through the beets are done.
5) Rinse though a sieve
You will need a bowl for the skins, or use the sink. All you do is pull and the skins come right off. Even the black or bad parts on some beets peel right off, too. Then, you will want to trim off the very ends, or any woody parts of some beets. If you decide to slice them BE CAREFUL!! They will still hold a LOT of heat, even with the skins off! (Might want to use a folk and knife for this.)
We just had them with a beef roast last night. I have probably 3-4 more meals still in my bed that I intend to harvest tomorrow. :D

Latest posts