Carrots, carrots, carrots....

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeek! My entire dining room table is covered deep in carrots!!! So, the small ones we will eat right away. The large ones, I store in sand in the basement. That still leaves a lot of carrots! Does anyone do anything wonderful with carrots? Has anyone blanched and frozen? Is it worth it, or do they get soggy??? Thanks for any help!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I blanch and freeze some of mine. It's nice to have them pre-cut and washed, quick to throw in soups and stuff. Not soggy if blanched right.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Yeek! My entire dining room table is covered deep in carrots!!! So, the small ones we will eat right away. The large ones, I store in sand in the basement. That still leaves a lot of carrots! Does anyone do anything wonderful with carrots? Has anyone blanched and frozen? Is it worth it, or do they get soggy??? Thanks for any help!
The blanched and frozen ones are very handy.. just like from the store.. I enjoyed mine, and never had soggy ones. Carrots are good pickled..

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I put 'em all in a big roasting pan & roast at 350 for about an hour (depending on carrot size), then freeze. They have a deeper flavor that way and they are ready to use after thawing.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do you have a juicer? Making carrot juice uses up a lot of carrots....it tastes pretty good and it's healthy for ya too! :D

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa ... Yeek, but a nice problem to have... congrats on the great crop!

meriruka1 said:
I put 'em all in a big roasting pan & roast at 350 for about an hour (depending on carrot size), then freeze. They have a deeper flavor that way and they are ready to use after thawing.
We use this method for corn, adding a bit of water and butter. It is SO good!
I'll have to try it for carrots the next time I grow them.
I like 'heat and eat' ... thanks for the tip!...:thumbsup

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You are so lucky!!! Do you know I only had about 20 out of 100 carrots I planted come up. :hit Disappointing!

Do not waste your amazing bounty. Make soup, make broths with flavor.... blanch freeze yourself some ready to cook ones... roast some... make carrot sticks for snacks... but do not waste a single gorgeous stick. :drool