Coffee

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have made homemade pop tarts using salal berry jam that tastes like blackberry jam without the seeds. I think you can feel healthy eating these because they are packed with real fruit!
I would happily eat your homemade pop tarts, Dahlia, but I never cared for the commercially made ones (or for that matter any other commercial supermarket HFCS-laden baked goods).

But I have my own guilty pleasures - those instant ramen noodle cups. I occasionally cook up a vat of my own pho with good fresh ingredients and freeze part of it, but that takes time to make and gets eaten fast, whereas a cup of instant ramen off the shelf made by simply adding boiling water is so convenient!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would happily eat your homemade pop tarts, Dahlia, but I never cared for the commercially made ones (or for that matter any other commercial supermarket HFCS-laden baked goods).

they didn't even have HFCS back then... :)
now, is quite a different story. when buying stuff i read labels.

But I have my own guilty pleasures - those instant ramen noodle cups. I occasionally cook up a vat of my own pho with good fresh ingredients and freeze part of it, but that takes time to make and gets eaten fast, whereas a cup of instant ramen off the shelf made by simply adding boiling water is so convenient!

ramen noodles were a staple for me for my college years when i had to cook my own food. a can of tuna, hot sauce and some mixed veggies in the ramen noodles. it's largely why now i have very little enthusiasm for tuna in much (i'll still eat it if someone else makes it but i'm not going to cook with it myself). oh, i never used the spice packets i just liked the noodles. and then for extra fun sometimes i would eat the noodles raw because i liked the crunch.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been snacking on chips too much lately, so breakfast today was a small bowl of cereal with dried cranberries, a mango, and a protein shake (with my favorite Vietnamese instant coffee added). Yeah, I know, that's caffeinated sacrilege on multiple levels; but I've always had a hard time following the beaten path.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been snacking on chips too much lately...

Mom has a huge bag of the kind of chips i really like up in the cupboard. i've so far avoided having a single one of them. thanks for reminding me of how good i've been (and that they are there! d'oh!)...

what you've done instead of taking the beaten path is taken the blenderized path which may lead to the air fryer path because ghod knows we've probably also been down the baby bottle, toaster to deep fried path already.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

I love ramen too! I like to add shrimp and a bit of stinging nettle to it! Yum!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, even though I know it can't be good for me, what with all that sugar and salt in it, my late night Saturday vigils rarely go on without a big bowl of the frozen Pho broth I can get at the Asian supermarket (just the broth, as the noodles don't add anything except more carbs, I don't put them in. Plus, this brand doesn't come with noodles, so I'd have to buy them separately.

I do like ramen, but not the instant cup kind, again, the kind you can get frozen (or, at least, I used to, the brand I ate doesn't seem to exist anymore, and, as yet, none of the other ones I can find at the Japanese grocery seem to satisfy. Then again, neither do most of the actual ramen takeaways places either (I know of only one I like well enough that I have been there more than once.)

Of course, the Japanese grocery stores near me (there are four) also contain the ultimate temptation, their Bakery's (they all use the same one) Choco cornets (imagine truffle filling wrapped in a cone of bread dough). Delicious and the refutation of my belief that contrary to what I thought, there ARE people in Japan who understand what dark chocolate is (a lot of the candy companies there don't, their dark is like milk and their milk is like white. You don't want to know what their white is like.)

Oh, and the local bakery near me makes great lemon Danishes (not as cloying as the kind I sometimes find at the supermarket.)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a broccoli person. I don't know how that happened :). "Broccoli" includes the budding tops of a good number of Asian greens. They can all go in ramen noodles, or several noodle choices.

It's out to the distant garden to run sprinklers again today. Hot, hot weather and I would prefer not to be there on Sunday. The neighbors have "goings on," those mornings. Monday would be okay but there is supposed to be HIGH winds. The WS has been warning us about fire dangers.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
they didn't even have HFCS back then... :)
now, is quite a different story. when buying stuff i read labels.

Very true, but even back in the day I didn't like them. Now I doubly dislike them!

-------"ramen noodles were a staple for me for my college years when i had to cook my own food. a can of tuna, hot sauce and some mixed veggies in the ramen noodles. it's largely why now i have very little enthusiasm for tuna"------

I can see why you would lose your appetite for these things. Familiarity breeds contempt, they say. That sounds like Scarlett O'Hara vowing to never eat yams again!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, even though I know it can't be good for me, what with all that sugar and salt in it, my late night Saturday vigils rarely go on without a big bowl of the frozen Pho broth I can get at the Asian supermarket (just the broth, as the noodles don't add anything except more carbs, I don't put them in. Plus, this brand doesn't come with noodles, so I'd have to buy them separately.

I do like ramen, but not the instant cup kind, again, the kind you can get frozen (or, at least, I used to, the brand I ate doesn't seem to exist anymore, and, as yet, none of the other ones I can find at the Japanese grocery seem to satisfy. Then again, neither do most of the actual ramen takeaways places either (I know of only one I like well enough that I have been there more than once.)

Of course, the Japanese grocery stores near me (there are four) also contain the ultimate temptation, their Bakery's (they all use the same one) Choco cornets (imagine truffle filling wrapped in a cone of bread dough). Delicious and the refutation of my belief that contrary to what I thought, there ARE people in Japan who understand what dark chocolate is (a lot of the candy companies there don't, their dark is like milk and their milk is like white. You don't want to know what their white is like.)

Oh, and the local bakery near me makes great lemon Danishes (not as cloying as the kind I sometimes find at the supermarket.)
My mom used to make the best lemon bars ever! You could only eat one at a time because they were very rich and sweet! 😋