Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@SPedigrees / @flowerbug , we had Karo syrup for our peanut brittle :).

Somehow, I imagine that idea may resonate with FlowerBug.

That type of corn syrup is one of the reasons we have US food regulations. As i understand the story, the unscrupulous would place honeycomb in the jar with corn syrup and sell it as a jar of honey ... Of course, there were some very unsafe additives for a population that was becoming more & more urban. An evidence of hypocrisy seems to be uniquely galling – you know, like "trout in the milk."

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@SPedigrees / @flowerbug , we had Karo syrup for our peanut brittle :).

Somehow, I imagine that idea may resonate with FlowerBug.

That type of corn syrup is one of the reasons we have US food regulations. As i understand the story, the unscrupulous would place honeycomb in the jar with corn syrup and sell it as a jar of honey ... Of course, there were some very unsafe additives for a population that was becoming more & more urban. An evidence of hypocrisy seems to be uniquely galling – you know, like "trout in the milk."

i'm not sure the modern HFCS is the same as the old Karo (dark or light). i do remember Karo as a kid. it was not a common ingredient for us back then. i think the main use was for caramel corn and yes, peanut brittle, perhaps also fudge or some other desserts kinds of things. what was and is still used more often is the Sweetened Condensed Milk. that's a constant item here.

ok, quick research shows that old time Karo did not have HFCS and then did have it for a while but now it doesn't.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can see why you would lose your appetite for these things. Familiarity breeds contempt, they say. That sounds like Scarlett O'Hara vowing to never eat yams again!

the other problem was that my ex-step-dad lived off tuna slop (tuna, macaroni and cheese and mixed veggies) most nights of the week and that easily tipped me even further over on the Had Too Much scale... i can eat it, and i can even enjoy a good tuna caserole but not all the time. :) then of course the other thing is that crushed up potato chips were the common topping for tuna caserole...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just turned off the heat under the herbal tea, it's steeped long enough. Up latest for the week at 4:30. I suppose that it is Sunday appropriate.

Have to mow the lawn this morning as I skipped over the task yesterday. Too dang HOT after returning home from running sprinklers in the distant garden. When is it appropriate to fire up a lawn mower on a Sunday? Over 80°f by 10AM and may hit 100° this afternoon (27° & 38°C).

I need an "air deflector" for the new air conditioner. Rigged up the cut corner of a cardboard box yesterday :D. Taped it in place ... Told DW we could paint it! Problem is that it is just too wide for a standard furnace vent deflector so I had better take my tape measure and may need to shop around.

Shucks, it was 58° when I crawled out of bed this morning. I would have been pleased to have that lawn all mowed by now!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had 1 cup of coffee and was already getting hot from going outside and taking care of the rabbit and picking beans. I switched to ice tea. I gave the rabbit a frozen gallon of water for the afternoon. It is 93 and feels like 102. I blanched some squash and green beans and I have a lot of beans to snap tonight and more to pick.

I have been playing pickleball in the mornings now and then and my pickleball friend has been taking some squash and zucchini and I made her a half gallon of blackberry juice. She really likes it, so I have been getting a lot of blackberries used up out of the freezer and DS and I have been drinking it for breakfast. I gave her green beans too and waiting for the tomatoes to start ripening. I have realized that I like zucchini cooked better than I do the yellow squash. I usually use the zucchini for either frying or shredding for bread, but I have been cooking it in the oven different ways and I like it a lot better than the yellow squash and DS too. I have a lot of ideas for soup this fall and winter and I am going to start making sourdough bread again.

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone!!!
All done with my morning coffee so onto water for now.
Spent yesterday with FH, shopping. Yeah, I know that's nothing unusual about the weekend but a lot of times the day gets spoiled because of phones ringing or friends/co-workers texting asking about job numbers, times and location seeing how none (EXCEPT FOR MY FH) have enough sense to write the info on their log sheet during the week.
We got a new outside addition yesterday, a LOT cheaper than what we saw it on the website (MAJOR discount!!!!!!) so now later on this week have to move the fire pit and dog kennel (FH and friends going to do that) seeing how we have no other spot for it that's flat enough. I have been telling others I got a $300 pool and FH got a $65 leaf blower but the truth is both of us is going to be using both items sometimes separate other times together.

Attachments

• IMG_20230716_143949.jpg
    IMG_20230716_143949.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts