Coffee

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
On my second cup of coffee, waiting for daylight so I can do chores before church. I need to set a bale of hay today. The big dead tree that got cut down is blocking the gate into the field where the hay bales are. Chase came and cut up some of the branches, is coming back this afternoon to cut more. I’ll help him load up, can use the bucket on my tractor to scoop and dump the wood on his trailer.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dogs started barking, went outside to see why. 2 coyote packs were howling in opposite directions. The dogs bark a warning to let predators know to stay away or else there will be a fight. If my dogs were to be injured in a fight, they would receive vet care, be fed and taken care of while they recovered. If a predator is injured, it can’t hint. Can’t hunt, can’t eat. Can’t eat, starve. Predators instinctively know this and go find an easier meal. I’ve never had a predator come over the fence.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning.

The nearly Full Moon up there with Jupiter, both shining brightly on a 6AM morning sky.

It is 39°f here at home (4°C). The Weather Service has mostly tossed out any ideas for rain this week. They say that it should be warming a little each day. This would be another growing season when my neighbor, who sometimes risked 4 plantings of corn, would luck out ... And here, I didn't even sow corn seed 3 times in 2023 :hit.

digitS'

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It's the Harvest Moon shining down through a few clouds (still turned on the light in the carport wandering outside at 4AM to collect some lemon verbena – just enjoying now in my tea mug).

The distant garden water needs were nil, yesterday. A 3 gallon bucket of green beans, 4 melons (Lilly and Passport) were harvested, along with a few other things. Dropped off a bag of cilantro for a friend (already with plenty of tomatoes in her garden ;)).

I have eaten melon as often as 3x/day, every day since sometime in August. Still, okay by me ;). Had hash browns and a poached egg for breakfast. Shoulda encouraged DW to make some salsa sauce.

Steve, better go back to using "steve" in all posts so @flowerbug knows who is fortunately staying out of doctor's offices ;)
DD's said to look for the rabbit on the face of the moon....
I saw no such rabbit, only pockmarks.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My son took a picture of the harvest moon. He’s a professional hunting guide but he’s awesome with a camera!
IMG_9388.jpeg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good Morning.

The nearly Full Moon up there with Jupiter, both shining brightly on a 6AM morning sky.

It is 39°f here at home (4°C). The Weather Service has mostly tossed out any ideas for rain this week. They say that it should be warming a little each day. This would be another growing season when my neighbor, who sometimes risked 4 plantings of corn, would luck out ... And here, I didn't even sow corn seed 3 times in 2023 :hit.

digitS'
My corns are still outside, and I do hope the frost won't arrive too soon. The temperature at night is touching similar line like yours. My luffa is still outside, too. (finally there are male and female flowers at the same time.)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Two dishes today as we had brunch outside - cinnamon rolls with maple syrup, we share those with neighbors. I added the pumpkin spice inside the dough, so the fragrance is charming.

Instead of adding pearl sugar or icing, I added chopped pecan and dark chocolate, and served them with a bit maple syrup on the top.
12869.jpg

Everything-in-one-plate dinner :D
12868.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My luffa is still outside, too
Ooh, I bet those cannot take even a slight frost. Mine stretched out and were so exposed. The cucumbers seem to be my most vulnerable crop ... although I suppose basil fits into first place.

@peteyfoozer , that is a charming picture. And no, none of these look familiar to me.

239px-Man_In_The_Moon2.png

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
5492260774985d7e7f40bab67523e4e7.jpg

IT's all by the coffee pot so brew a cup or fix a glass of Iced Coffee then let's enjoy the patio in the 57 morning chill. It's suppose to get to 79 here and be in the upper 70s all week during the day then get down to 55-65 at night until Sat then it's going down to 45 which means it's going to be a good night for a fire and Smores!!!
Yesterday FH and I did some much needed yardwork. My hands are swollen, back and shoulders are bothersome so once I get rest of laundry put away from yesterday and the dishes from last night dinner done it's going to be a ME Day!!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. Breakfast: poached egg on toast, galia melon and pumpkin pie :). Oolong and now back for herbal tea.

Reading about the winners of the Nobel Prize this morning. I had seen a little about their work several years ago but was quite confused as to where these two people were, one, a Hungarian refugee in the 1980's. Okay -- the University of Pennsylvania.

Steve