Corn Thread for 2014

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, u r correct on all fronts. Let the painted dry to 15% or less, then bite into it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is something about Painted Mountain corn on the Landreth Seed site:

(LINK)

Dave Christensen no longer has an active website but quite a few seed companies sell seed for this variety.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Steve, what a beautiful tribute to the man who bred my favorite corn of all time. Thanks for that. I printed it out and am putting it in my gardening notebook.

I just wanted to add that the beauty the author sees in PM is exactly the way I feel about it. To me, it's a work of art.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is something about Painted Mountain corn on the Landreth Seed site:

(LINK)

Dave Christensen no longer has an active website but quite a few seed companies sell seed for this variety.

Steve
I notice the site disappeared this year. I wonder why though?
If it was hosting costs I'd be willing to donate some :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great article Steve! Thanks for the link, I saved it to my favorites. It is beautiful corn and I am having fun with it. Thanks to @thistlebloom for bringing it to my attention. I will probably only make one batch of cornbread with it and save the rest for seed. I'll have a bigger patch next year!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bay's right I have glass gem corn. That is also who I got my seeds from. Right now it's over my waist. 100% germination! dark strong leaves & stalks. I'm very pleased with it so far.

It's a 110 day corn so hopefully I'll get some good results. There isn't any corn being grown near me but I still plan to hand pollinate to ensure I get as many ears as I can. It's a small plot of corn so want to do everything I can so it's right.

I saw the pictures of it online and knew my girls would get a kick out of it. So this fall we hope to have a beautiful crop.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, I love the pictures of that glass gem also. I think my kids would love it also. I'm really gonna try next year to grow some. I don't know where or if it would even grow here. But I'm gonna try!

P.s. I may ask some seeds from those of you here on TEG. :)

Mary