Corn Thread for 2014

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Honestly it's not hard to grow and it's in the NE corner of the garden in a small square plot. I think it was 12" spacing I honestly cant remember but I did space it out and used a grid. It really doesn't gobble up space like I thought it would.

I hope to get enough seed to share on here.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, I'm hoping that we can grow a small square of the gem corn, maybe 9 plants. It's more for the novelty of it.

Mary

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The novelty is why I grew it this year. I always like growing things for my girls. Glass gem corn, white pumpkins, giant pumpkins, oddities & beautiful things for them

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have it too and they seam really strong. so far i only saw one that looked like something tried nibbling the base near the roots. but it is still trying to grow even with part of the stalk chewed! a couple of them have tassels started but i'm waiting to see if any ears are starting to show. i did replant a few more when i thought my chickens had dug them up or they got washed away from the hill i had planted them in.

this year has to be the best time i have tried to grow corn. i think i have found the best area and conditions on the property for lots of veggies this year to grow nicely.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Oaxacan corn was planted May 26 and is now tasseling. It has been rained on, blown flat by wind and had worms eating the leaves. I propped up the flattened ones, but just adopted a survival of the fittest attitude on this corn. The worms were in some of the corn, not all of it and hid down in the middle of the crown. Dunno where the worms went when the corn shot up and the tassel reached for the sky. Today I hand pollinated the silks......we'll see how that goes, since I have had such rotten luck with corn this year.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just taken of my glass gem corn

image.jpg

image.jpg

Please look past the weeds we've had rain be it a sprinkle or a all day soaking more days than not. Plus OT has been worked by yours truly so I'm a little behind as you can see. The T posts are shy of 6ft high for perspective.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's some healthy corn there!! Don't apologize for the weeds--I think most of us have a healthy crop of weeds too!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That corn sure looks good but I see a lot more room where you could have planted a lot more. :) Is this a sweet corn that you can eat like corn on the cob?

It seems like all of you who have some land sure have a lot of weeds!:eek:

From someone who doesn't have ANY weeds. :)
Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, there's an hours per square foot ..

. versus ..

. minutes per square foot thing going on. We had better not get down to seconds/sqft.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll have to take a picture of my Yukon Chief one day soon.

I'm in the healthy crop of weeds camp. :\
One time I figured the amount of maintenance time my yard and vegetable garden would take to keep it at peak appearance, and I came up with 20 hours. If I get up at dawn and do a bit of work 5 days a week, and then my typical all day Saturday, I can keep it respectable. The problem I run into about this time of year is bone weariness. After gardening all day elsewhere, I just want to sit down with a tall glass of iced tea and let my eyes glaze over.

Latest posts