Cornbread & Beans

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty corn Steve! I grew Damon Morgan's Kentucky Butcher corn this spring and have made cornbread from it 3 times now. It is so delicious. I have a Family Grain Mill and the directions say not to mill flint corn as it is too hard and will damage the grinding burrs. :/ So I planted dent with that in mind. This coming spring I think I will try a different corn, I am playing with different varieties of vegetables in hopes of finding what works best for me.

It's hard to beat a meal of cornbread and beans!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There were "parts" of the Painted Mountain corn that would not pass thru my screen. I suppose that it is a "colander" and not a screen but . . . uh, it's one of those concave kitchen screens with a plastic handle.

Not sure what that part was but it wasn't very soft after an all-night soak of the corn.

Seemed like a real strange way of milling something but I'm serious (i think), I'm willing to try soaking wheat and seeing how it does in the food processor! I'll show you later today what using some sweet corn for Johnny Cakes amounted to :p.

Steve
who doesn't know a Johnny Cake from a Jackie Cake

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe it is a Jackie Cake? A corn cake, anyway:

4989_dsc00801-001.jpg

What might you do with ears of SWEET corn that have gotten past the "fresh harvest" stage? Well, you can take those kernels off the cob and put them in a food processor. It wasn't like that blend of rice and soybeans that I did last year. Just the whole kernel corn and a little flour to absorb the liquid. Form into patties, steam, then fry in a little corn oil :).

They are so corny and sweet! They sure don't need syrup! However, in the right environment, you might be able to fill cracks in masonry with them! Sticky! Worth the try . . . I wonder if they'd be good with some my tomato sauce poured over them :).

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandma always saved her ears of sweet corn that got a little too mature. She dried them, and after that I'm not sure what she did, but I think one of the things she did was toss them in soups.

You go to a great deal more effort with you PM cornbread than I do Steve. I put the soaked kernels in the blender with all of the recipes liquid and let it go until it's a smooth looking consistency, then add the blenderized liquid to the dry ingredients. Works great. :)

Oh, and I like your Jackie cake, it looks delicious!

Latest posts