Could You have Survived 18 Century Life ?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I could handle it as we all would. I would have to get used to human odors though...... I'm not talking about being a little sweaty but weeks of body odor built up. That was the only thing I hated about Europe. Animal waste I can handle. Seems hypocritical.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have done without modern amenities due to camping trips or hurricanes. Always glad to flip that light switch!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and I out homesteading as far from civilization as possible. We can do anything together. If it weren't for medical issues. . . I have no problem with modern medicine and all that it can do.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although I like many aspects of the homesteading way of life and I can rough it when I have to, there are a lot of modern amenities and technology that I would not want to do without. I agree with Seed, regular hot baths and deodorant are a real blessing! I am thankful for medical advances and that people don't lose so many babies like they did 100+ years ago. Savannah certainly wouldn't be here right now, maybe even if it happened 50 years ago.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
The horrid boredom is what would do me in.
Days are terribly long, even when I garden, still a lot of dead/down time of nothingness.
We get a lot of no net/tv and it's hell. I just have nothing to do.
Nights are cold or cool, I'll sleep on the floor if need be, no issue.
It's the bugs I hate at night.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Camping in a trailer the size of a bus isn't camping, IMHO. It is not much different than a small, well-equiped motel room. Better in some ways because you know what is where and who used it last.

It's only drawback would be needing to clean it every day. What's different from being at home cleaning and being on the road cleaning?

Going different places and seeing different things in a motor home is a great idea. Calling it camping, however, is a gross mis-nomer.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We carried everything on our backs. We unrolled & recollection TP to save space kind of trips. Take 2 pair of underwear. You wear 1 and rinse the other out to dry as your walking to the next site. Averaged 9-14 miles a day depending on the terrain.

VERY different perspective of this country from that angle. Saw some utterly amazing things too. Grizzlies less than 10ft from us, snowball fights in June at the top of a mountain pass. Streams so cold they would take your breathe away when you touched the water. Elk, eagles, hearing wolves at night......just amazing.

Did the Cascades, Grand Tetons, Isle Royal, Glacier, Yosemite, to name a few. Have also done a few canoe trips like that where you packed everything and instead of walking we used canoes. Paddle to our site, camp for the night, then back to the canoes to go further downstream.

Those were great times.
Jared, my DH would love to join you ! Many years ago ( i.e. younger, painfree and lighter weight) so would have I ;) Now the long walks/hikes and sleeping on the ground would KILL me. :( So the closest I get to camping is in the trailer with a real BED! LOL One of our best vacations was to the BWCA in MN. *sigh*

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try having my parents , grandmother and myself escaping the red army, jumping onto a couple horses and fleeing into a forest with nothing but your clothing on your back, no food or water. Then having your horses shot, escaping on foot. Living off the forest for a few years and sleeping behind downed trees covering oneself with branches or grass for heat retention and matress. Being shot at by gunfire, cannon and mortars but escaping with only a few wounds when these weapon fires are comming from two sides. One's thaughts of capture is a cattle car ride to Siberia or the gas chambers as motivation to go on. Then after the war, living off the land in bombed out barns or homes for years. You guys have it easy and still complain of discomfort. :caf

Latest posts