Cucumber recall

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cantaloupe are supposed to be contaminated somewhat easily because of the roughness of their skin.

Carting cucumbers to 22 states from Mexico in late August?

:\

Steve

Reactions: Hal

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
saw that on tv the other day,makes you wonder about whats happening in the farm fields cross the world..

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First law suit was filed by a woman in MN .. Food Safety News

I am not much for suing, but after spending a week in the hospital and a week in rehab and still having issues, I may look at that differently.

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess once you go to the hospital and are dx'd with salmonella, the investigation is out of your hands. I would have to think about suing, too.
I had been using some precut and packaged organic kale till my garden kale recovers. Yesterday I saw, in small letters, on the very bottom of the bag "wash before eating." Well, thanks a lot. I wonder if that little sentence would exempt the company from a lawsuit?

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cantaloupe are supposed to be contaminated somewhat easily because of the roughness of their skin.

Carting cucumbers to 22 states from Mexico in late August?

:\

Steve
Who knows where along the chain of custody contamination could have taken place. I'll be interested to see what happens after all the investigation is done.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't buy produce that's not grown in the U.S. Not that bad things haven't or couldn't happen with domestic produce, I just try to limit the risk, and get stuff that also hasn't got a lot of travel miles.
It's not all labeled, so you have to ask.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess once you go to the hospital and are dx'd with salmonella, the investigation is out of your hands. I would have to think about suing, too.
I had been using some precut and packaged organic kale till my garden kale recovers. Yesterday I saw, in small letters, on the very bottom of the bag "wash before eating." Well, thanks a lot. I wonder if that little sentence would exempt the company from a lawsuit?

My guess is they would have to find that a company violated procedure or regulations causing the contamination.

Anyone run into other research about using vinegar to clean veggies? ... Live strong

I see the CSU suggests the use of vinegar for hard to clean greens ...

Leafy green vegetables. Separate and individually rinse the leaves of lettuce and other greens, discarding the outer leaves if torn and bruised. Leaves can be difficult to clean so immersing the leaves in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes helps loosen sand and dirt. Adding vinegar to the water (1/2 cup distilled white vinegar per 1 cup water), followed by a clean water rinse, has been shown to reduce bacterial contamination but may affect texture and taste. After washing, blot dry with paper towels or use a salad spinner to remove excess moisture.

I think I will try that next time I prepare lettuce or spinach, or @so lucky, maybe you could try it with your kale and tell us if it tastes like pickles. :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lawsuit is part of the system. How much your insurance will cover is often limited in cases like that, so to get your medical bills paid you have to sue. Of course it has to be someone with deep enough pockets to be able to pay. It doesn't do any good to sue someone that can't pay a judgment when they lose. A lot of times people are looking for compensation for "pain and suffering" or something like that in addition to medic al bills paid, but sometimes just to get the bills paid and not bankrupt you have to sue. A lot of times the company will settle out of court just for medical expenses but not until you sue.

I eat a lot of stuff straight from my garden myself without taking "precautions" but if I am feeding to to anyone else or freezing or canning it I wash it and treat it like it needs to be cleaned. Contamination can occur anywhere. There are probably a lot of places in that journey those cukes could have been contaminated but they will probably chase it down.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
My guess is they would have to find that a company violated procedure or regulations causing the contamination.

Anyone run into other research about using vinegar to clean veggies? ... Live strong

I see the CSU suggests the use of vinegar for hard to clean greens ...

Leafy green vegetables. Separate and individually rinse the leaves of lettuce and other greens, discarding the outer leaves if torn and bruised. Leaves can be difficult to clean so immersing the leaves in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes helps loosen sand and dirt. Adding vinegar to the water (1/2 cup distilled white vinegar per 1 cup water), followed by a clean water rinse, has been shown to reduce bacterial contamination but may affect texture and taste. After washing, blot dry with paper towels or use a salad spinner to remove excess moisture.

I think I will try that next time I prepare lettuce or spinach, or @so lucky, maybe you could try it with your kale and tell us if it tastes like pickles. :D
dw uses the vinegar wash on a lot of veggies she buys, matter of fact even the ones we grow.. for melons including ours she will wash them in clorox bleach cap full per 2 gallons of water and let them soak for a couple minutes followed by a good raising.

for lettuce she does 1 cup vinegar to 1 gallon of water. follows the rest of the instructions. then she places the lettuce in a gallon ziplock bag with a moist paper towel the lettuce stays fresh in the fridge for 2 weeks..

Latest posts