Dahlias

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa......I wait 'til the first "HARD" frost when the plants turn a greasy black banana peal black.... and then wait for a couple of days and carefully dig up the tubers not to disturb or break them from their main stocks....then I hose them off...let them dry....and store them.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great! Thanks! Still waiting for our first frost here- the dahlias are actually looking lovely right now!

LG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what type of Dahlia this is (I'm hoping this shows up as my avatar. Otherwise I'll have to haul in tech support during a commercial on the football game he's watching-- so I may be back again soon). It's what I think is an Informal Decorative type; it's generally about 5" across; and its petals are yellow tipped and edged with red. Does anyone have a name for it? Thank you.

ETA: No avatar; I'll see what I can do...

LG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is the dahlia I'm trying to identify: 5" or 6" informal decorative, I think, yellow petals tipped and edged with red
8672_dahlia_9-2-10.jpg
-- does anyone have a name for it? Thank you.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It looks very much like "Lady Darlene".....I'm about 90% sure...:/

LG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
Just checked....now I'm 100% sure.....it's "Lady Darlene"......
Thank you so much! I've just looked at other photos of Lady Darlene and you're right, there's no doubt.

I used to get my tubers from Connell's before they closed and they must have sent it as a bonus tuber because I never ordered one. I have to stay, it's spectacularly hardy. One of my kids ran it over while practicing parallel parking and it grew back. I really appreciate your help.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Glad to help.....it's too bad about "Connell's".....I used to get tubers from them...very nice company..... If you have any extra "Lady Darlenes" to sell next Spring...I'd love to buy one......I've liked that variety and just never purchased any.....keep me posted! Rusty

OurGardenGate.com

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to growing dahlias. I planted some (about 10) last year and they were beautiful. Since I live in 5b/6a hardiness zone, I was told I had to dig them up for the winter or I'd lose them.
Well, I dug them up, stored them as directed, and replanted, only in a different bed. They grew this year and are beautiful again, but the kicker is, I missed a couple when digging them up, and they are also growing and are beautiful. We had a particularly bad winter last year but the bed they are in has southern exposure.

So now I'm wondering do I need to go to all the trouble of digging and storing?

Latest posts