Dahlias

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tragic News, Rusty :hu.

Looks like you have reason to be thankful for what was saved. And just like the productive guy you are -- you are moving right ahead, "making hay when the sun shines!"
Nearly 700 row feet of dahlias? Most of us would just be :th !

I've got some of those Benary Giant zinnias & Madam Butterfly snaps! My ~ 36' x 42' dahlia garden is looking okay, despite the cool spring here. We are there with you in our imaginations and in our own gardening efforts, Rusty.
Keep on, keeping on :coolsun!

Steve

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:lol: Thanks Steve....Yeah, It was quite the let down....I've never done anything so stupid in my life....:p.....Oh well....some of my Dahlia buddies are saving me tubers this Fall of some of my lost varieties.....I wanted to cut back on some of the smaller bloom varieties anyway and concentrate more on the "A" and "AA" large size varieties. Last year my Dahlia bed was 130 foot long and 80 feet wide....this year- 110 long and about 20 feet wide.... We got the hay cut now and are waiting for it to dry.....then the real physical part comes in....stacking bales of hay.:/ These hobbies!!!!! Why didn't I just take up something less physical...like stamp collecting? :D I'll post some new photos of the 2011 Dahlias when I get blooms.....glad to hear your plants are doing great.....I would love to see some of your Dahlias. Take care, Rusty

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That really is sad news! I saw a dinner plate dahlia at the garden show yesterday- man those are so cool! I have two whole different dahlias planted- I'll post pics when they bloom- so you can see how mere mortals grow dahlias! Good luck!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:lol:lesa....you are too funny.....two dahlias are better than none. I would love to see some photos of your Dahlias and other flowers that you have.....do you know the variety names of your Dahlias? Always good to hear from you..... I forgot....I also have a 70 foot row of Calendulas and one of Four O'Clocks planted as well this year. Keep us posted..... Rusty

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know that these are not Dahlias......though some do have flower names.... I thought I'd post a couple photos of my sheep from this Spring.... Enjoy!!!
7566_sheep_2011_014.jpg
Here is me and "Irish Acres Highland Miracle"......I don't have the heart to tell here she's not people....spoiled rotten sheep....
7566_sheep_2011b_018.jpg
7566_sheep_2011_054.jpg
This is one of my best ewes....great size, fleece, body type, horn width, and personality..... :Irish Acres Highland Deirdre"

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a lovely landscape, with your beautiful sheep! What are you using the Calendula for? I ended up with a lot of them....

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Lesa.....I use the Calendulas in Potpourri (for color).....and in salads.....sometimes (not often) for quick floral bouquets.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Rusty, if you are still around . . .

Can you take a look at my Steve is Skeered of Spiders thread?

What do you do for mites in the dahlias, or are they that much of a problem for you? This hot dry country here (summer/not spring) is perfect for the dang things to beat up my dahlias most years.

How am I going to be armed in their defense?

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no, Rusty, that's a terrible loss. I'm glad your most precious heirlooms survived. I can see how you could eventually get to having 125 different varieties. Dahlias are *addictive* ;) Hope you can get your operation built back up!

(I love that first photo of the sheep in the field...so peaceful!)

OSUman

Sprout
Reaction score
journey11 said:
OSUman said:
Are there any Dahlias that can be grown in pots?
The collarette dahlias are really cute in pots. They are a dwarf dahlia.
Ok cool ill look into them.

RustyDHart said:
Hello everyone..... I lost a ton of my tubers this Winter (about 80 % of my total tubers) One main door to the basement was not closed all of the way in April when we got that shot of VERY cold weather..just cold enough to freeze the tubers closest to the exit....my own stupid fault.....no one lives at the old farmhouse anymore....so no one would have noticed the basement door....over 50 varieties will have to be replaced......I was able to save about 50 varieties (a few each) and only planted about 400 plants this year. Luckily my rarest heirloom varieties were saved.....Thank God!!!! I have 6....110 foot rows in the garden this year of Dahlias....one full row of "Madame Butterfly" Snapdragons.....one row of "Giant Benary" Zinnias.....one of annual Poppies....and one of Cleome.....all used for the cut flower market. Plus I keep my Herbs and heirloom veggies going....along with the 60 sheep and my Pyncheon Bantams..... We are cutting hay this weekend and thru most of the week. "Make hay when the sun shines!" Hope to get about 1,500 square bales in for the long Winter ahead. I hope everyone else is having a nice growing season and had better luck with their tubers than I did. I hope everyone has a very Happy Independence Day.... warmest regards, Rustyhttp://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_042.jpg
Thats no good that you lost so many varieties, hopefully you can get enough to replace the varieties you had.

Latest posts