Do You Battle a Invasive Plant ? NY Ban Sale of Certain Plants

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has to be bindweed -- wild morning glory.

It isn't so much me, as my neighbors.

One neighbor has the oddest approach to weeding. He will kind of stir things up and plant. The weeds are still obvious to see after his seeds go in ... Another may run his tiller once during the summer. Otherwise, everything is left alone for 12 months. When the tractor guy shows up and tills both of our gardens, I get some of the bindweed.

I try to never, ever walk past it. But, here at home bindweed gets through the fence and into my chives, especially. From there, it can go under the plastic of the hoop house and grow flat against the ground for several months. It's really tuff to get outta the chives and I don't even see it under the plastic until the plastic comes off in late June. The chives are scheduled to be lifted and cleaned (hopefully) of the bindweed this spring. These kind of perennial weeds are why I'm so much happier growing annual plants!

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought some water irs on ebay. Was very happy how well they where growing, couldn't wait for the flowers. Wasn't till 2nd season I realize they where cattails.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy...bindweed is wild morning glory. With a very fine stem, that can grab ahold of anything and tiny, tiny seeds. The morning glory that you plant-is not nearly as invasive or hard to get rid of. Yes, it will reseed itself- but you can keep up with it. Bindweed is a battle you can never win! My worst is euphrates grass. I have tried everything- and on and on it grows. There is a large patch of it next to land that I use for gardening. Those roots can really travel. I have heard that cattle or sheep can destroy it, by grazing on it. Haven't had any luck convincing Dh that we need either!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought some water irs on ebay. Was very happy how well they where growing, couldn't wait for the flowers. Wasn't till 2nd season I realize they where cattails.

Oh that's not good. I don't like hybrid cattails either... Invasive cattails in MN
Most of them around here are now the narrow-leaved cattail, unlike when we first moved here. :\

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Steve the members here stopped me from planting blindweed. I like morning glory and was looking for a FAST vine by hot tub.

I have grown the Moon Vine a few times, LOVE it! I've never had it reseed, but I also usually have trouble growing morning glory vines.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
while taking the dogs for their walk always keep an eye out for poison ivy ,have pretty much got it eradicated but always find one that did not get the memo.
and then there's lawn moss and Virginia creeper

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
If we managed to kill all the invasive stuff in the yard I would have no green in the yard! Clover, creeping charlie and crabgrass are the top 3. At the lot it is Poison Ivy which I am VERY allergic to. :( I can not help pick the wild black berries because the patch is full of P.I. the path to the out house is lined with it, too. It is growing tall and thick alongside the garden shed where the kids tire swing is. Gotta get that out. And the shed needs paint. No way am I helping until ALL the P.I. is gone. (Dog and DH bring the oil home on them and I break out even if I am not near a plant.) :somad

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never knew what purple loosestrife was, just googled it. I've seen tiny patches of it along interstate here and there. My mom made us stop once when we were kids and dig a start for her. It died though. Good thing it seems!

I have trouble with wild blackberry brambles and wild grape vines creeping up on the back of my property line. We had a goat back there for awhile and she made a dent in it, but it came right back after she left.

Not wild, but somewhat invasive for me has been common purple passionvine (Passiflora). Most of the Passifloras aren't winter hardy here except this one. It does reseed some, but mostly comes back from runners underground. I spend a lot of effort pulling out the sprouts all summer. I think they're very pretty and I love the flowers, so I usually allow just one vine in an out of the way spot.

Also datura has been a vigorous reseeder and comes back also from the roots of last year's plants. Again, pretty and the bloom smells lovely, so I allow a couple, but have to be vigilant to pull up the new seedlings and try to cut out the seed pods before they dry. Spiky, beastly seed pods they have too!

Latest posts