Do You Battle a Invasive Plant ? NY Ban Sale of Certain Plants

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown the Moon Vine a few times, LOVE it! I've never had it reseed, but I also usually have trouble growing morning glory vines.
If you start morning glory and moon vine in peat pots you should be able to grow both easily. Soak the seed for a few days to break the hard coat and they will grow like crazy. Cup and saucer vine can be grow in the same way. If you put out nice sized seedlings they will grow thick and reward you with their beautiful flower. Pumpkin, gourd and climbing squash will give you a lovely privacy vine with a food reward.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown the Moon Vine a few times, LOVE it! I've never had it reseed, but I also usually have trouble growing morning glory vines.

I love Moonflower, too, and bought some seeds to plant this year again. It has never reseeded for me, unlike morning glory, which grows in the cracks in my sidewalk. I took photos last summer of a huge Grandpa Ott that was growing in a crack where the sidewalk meets the porch. I will post a pic if I can remember how. :oops:

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you start morning glory and moon vine in peat pots you should be able to grow both easily. Soak the seed for a few days to break the hard coat and they will grow like crazy. Cup and saucer vine can be grow in the same way. If you put out nice sized seedlings they will grow thick and reward you with their beautiful flower. Pumpkin, gourd and climbing squash will give you a lovely privacy vine with a food reward.

I should have added, I can grow the MG vine, I just can't grow the flower.:D

Picture 1438.jpg

I tried the blue one on the mail box post, it ate the mail box and had one flower in Sept., right before frost hit. Then I tried a pink one in the rock garden, less fertile soil. The cute little thing gave me a flower at 12", I was SO excited, then it just died. I've had a very pretty green vine in 6 different spots. :confused:

I started a Moon Vine in a pot in the porch. It was so cool, I couldn't risk moving it. It found a crack to grow through and hung out with the cup and saucer vine outside the porch. It does great in the garden also, but I really like the blue MG! :\

CIMG8260.JPG Picture 1448.jpg

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
New place.....but I know it has a bodacious bunch of poison ivy. I break out just looking at the stuff. But as I understand it, the sheep we plan on buying will eat and kill it out. Lots of vines and head high weeds in garden area, should be interesting. I am going to plant pumpkins and other winter squash to cover the ground. It will take some time to get it the way I want it.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lavender I have had the same happen with MG. Big healthy vine with no flowers, such a disappointment.
Perhaps my flower failure is a blessing in disguise. Usually things that re-seed go all out for me, it may have been another invasive battle. I like volunteers, until they gang up on me.

I've ben doing more with the BES vine, easy to start from seed and does not re-seed here... and put in 2 new clematis that I hope make a show this year.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, winter squash and pumpkins will not act as a mulch. Weeds and grass will still take over. Last year I spread a couple of layers of newspaper or brown packing paper all over the area and covered that with wheat straw, put that all around melons out to about five feet where they spread. It was some work, but practically nothing grew in there except melons. A side benefit is that this spring that part of the garden is practically ready to plant. I don't have to dig out a bunch of Bermuda grass or other stuff. It is real clean. If I had not mulched that area, it would be solid Bermuda grass right now.

I grew up battling morning glories as a weed. They would grow all over our two acres of corn, having to be removed by hand and hoe. If allowed they'd wind all around tomatoes and other stuff in the garden. I had to struggle to look at them as anything except a weed. But a few years back I planted some in a very isolated area with a trellis to try to shade an area and to make my wife happy. As a city girl she actually thinks of them as a flower, not a weed. They reseed vigorously but since it is isolated I can contain them by mowing. Birds spread them some but not so much I can't manage.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps my flower failure is a blessing in disguise. Usually things that re-seed go all out for me, it may have been another invasive battle. I like volunteers, until they gang up on me.

I've ben doing more with the BES vine, easy to start from seed and does not re-seed here... and put in 2 new clematis that I hope make a show this year.

You're probably treating them too well. Good soil, plenty of water.
Try stressing them and they'll kick into bloom mode to make seeds to perpetuate themselves.

Latest posts