Do you buy plants or start from seed? Where do you buy?

brandylorton

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Liberty7 said:
I have a question about SAVING seeds. I usually buy packets of seeds or plants for my garden; but, I want to start getting into the habit of saving my own seeds to grow the next year. However, I've heard/read that hybrid seeds won't work.

Can someone tell me what kind of seeds I need to buy in order to be able to use the seeds from those plants for the NEXT year's garden.

Thank You.
It is not necessary that hybrid seed do not work. Here i would like to mention that i had used the hybrid seed and it is giving me nice results. Though my setup is small comparatively but if one thing can work in a small setup then might work at all the places too.

brandylorton

Leafing Out
Reaction score
jackb said:
Also, check out Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. They are nice folks.
Where the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange is and a lot more too.Can you help us. Can you tell something more about it.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think Lake Valley has germinated teh best for me and they are at most stores.

Johnny's has the quickest turn around.
Osbourne is SLOW, but their genetics are true.

Baker Creek is fun, but a crap shoot when it comes to genetic integrity (if you are into that).

We direct seed some and greenhouse start many plants. You will love growing from seed as it really connects you to the rocess in a more profound way!

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I start seeds inside, as well, although I have purchased plants in the past (who can resist?!) from the local greenhouse, but they're usually diseased. I promised myself that I would only do seeds this year, and I did. I'm proud of myself. I agree with the person who stated it staved off seasonal depression - as long as our winter is here it's fantastic to start planning the garden early and seeing something grow.

I used to purchase from Burpee only, but now I've moved on to Johnny's (about 15 minutes from me) and Seed Saver's Exchange.

We set up a pretty cheap seed starter area in the basement for me, the basement's underground and has a pretty decent stable temp of about 60 in the winter and spring. The box is just a metal shelving unit with reflective insulation wrapped around it, lights installed, seedling mats and a fan (to make the plants stockier, less prone to drying out in the wind later and obviously moves the air so it doesn't get stagnant/moldy).

6992_101211_288.jpg

6992_101211_287.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, is that the kind of foil insulation used for pipes you're using? Looks like a great idea!

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yeah, for pipes, around chimneys, etc. It's basically bubble wrap with foil put on it. Reflects light and heat and keeps it in there. It's attached with duct tape and wire ties and a few velcro strips for the doors to stay open.

With the seedling mats, the lights (2 sets on top, 1 on bottom) and the fan it's pretty toasty in there.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Every year I make an effort to start from seed, then I fill in with plants I buy from the store. I used my planting lights and open weave shelving unit for 2011 but not at ALL this year. Still, it's available and all set up for use next time.
There is nothing wrong with buying. Check the under leaves to make sure that you don't bring home any hitchhiking bugs to your garden.
Try to buy HEALTHY plants. You can, however, nurse leggy or sickly tomato plants back to health pretty easily, and I've done it many times.
Prepare yourself--most plants in pots at the store are terribly potbound. If you don't repot or put them in the ground in a few days you will lose them.
Neat ideas above. I might try some peas inside in the basement this summer, where it's cooler just to see what I get.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since my garden is mostly things started out in the garden the past 2 years I started nothing inside. I still have heat mats and 2 t5 lights though, ready to use.

But even this year when I went to a nursery, I bought a bunch of assorted brambleberries which I'll propogate. I also got some of those cool peacock kale/broccoli, and those assorted greens. Which I'll save seed from of course.

I foresee needing to buy another box for seeds before summer is over. Maybe a new dresser too. It's full of cans of seeds instead of clothes!

Latest posts